The Magdalene Sisters

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by allan grossman, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Went to part of the Toronto Film Festival last weekend and although it wasn't part of the festival it was playing next door to our hotel :)

I've wanted to see this since it was released last year but it's never made it to the backwards little town where I live. I think it's opened in 50 cities in the US now.

This is easily one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in awhile - but it was an excellent flick. Highly recommended.

Anyone else seen it?
  2. I want too. Looks like a really good art flick to see. I havn't heard about the plot though. Could you explain it to me?
  3. It's not exactly an art film, FF :)

Here's a plot summary -

"Ireland in the sixties: Four women are given into the custody of the Madgalene sisterhoood asylum to correct their more or less sinful behaviour: Crispina and Rose have given birth to a pre-marriage child, Margaret got raped by her cousin and the orphan Bernadette had been repeatedly caught flirting with the boys. All have to work in a laundry under the strict supervision of the nuns, who break their wills through sadistic punishments. Some of the inmates develop countermeasures, while others perish under the treatment."

And the whole IMDB writeup is here -

See it if you get a chance :)
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It looks like a good, moving film. I'm eager to see it.