Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mahogany Strips In My Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My bass is made out of ash, but it has strips of mahogany running down the neck and back of the body. I was wondering if it actually makes a difference in the sound. I know an all mahogany bass will sound a lot darker than an ash bass, so should these strips of mahogany do something?

-Peter

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Hmmm..
    Well, physics is an exact science, so of course ANYTHING you do will "effect the sound." The quality of the lamination, the depth of the wood and the quality of the wood will all change the sound. Obviously what matters in the end is how it sounds, but this is not the focus of your question. As per how it would sound? I have no idea.. the sound of a bass is a compilation of everything. Maybe your bass has some aspect that will more or less cancel out the effects of the Mahogany, or maybe it has aspects that will bring it out more. Who knows? Unfortunately there is no simple answer.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah you're right. There's a ton of factors. Thanks for the fast response!