Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Main Event - Schroeder VS. Schroeder Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slink, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    I have a Schroeder 1212 and am thinking of buying a Schroeder Neo 1212.

I would like to hear from others who have purchased a Schroeder Neo -- review it and if possible compare it to its non neo counterpart.

Is the sound and volume comparable? Is construction solid? Is it worth the price?

This would help me decide what I want to do.

2. BStringJerry

BStringJerry

Aug 5, 2005
    Texas
    Good question! ----- I've been wondering about that myself.

I've been looking at a few used Schroeder's offered on various sites (at very decent prices too), but I can't make up my mind to get one or just spend more and buy a new Lite cab. I sure like the idea of having a small lite cab.

3. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

It should sound exactly the same.

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    this is definitely not the main event. more like pregame.

5. There's a number of us with Light's on order. I don't believe Jorg has shipped many yet, so it may be a while until comparisons and reviews start to emerge. Given my experience comparing other neo vs. non-neo cabs within manufacturer, they will sound different... and hopefully great in their own way.

6. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    Is there anyone who has a Schroeder Neo?

7. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Patience, I'm sure as soon as one gets into the hands of a TB'r, there'll be a new thread with plenty of posts. The first one will most likely come from Ken. :hyper:

8. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm looking forward to hearing Schroeder Lite vs. Epifani UL comparisons...

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Through the life of a manufacturer's cabinet, they probably go through X-number of speaker change-overs. Some speaker becomes obsolete, or some other speaker is just as good but cheaper, or they work out a deal with the speaker manufacturer, ... and low and behold the maker still needs to build a style of cabinet but with a new speaker.

Some cab makers are better about updating their designs when speakers change. Some that have 8x10 probably don't.

They only way you'd know is if you opened the old cab and the new, or the cab maker admitted to updates.

The type of magnet the speaker uses matters very little except for weight.

10. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

Mark from Accugroove has told me that in his A/b-ing of the neo drivers (AG only) he has heard very little or no difference at all. I just figured it would be the same occurence.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The type of magnet may not matter, but that doesn't mean you just weld a new structure on the back of an existing design. A lot of neo deisgns have been markedly different than non-neo designs in response and arguably reliability, and it's obvious with the stock Eminence Deltalites compared to the DlII that it's taking awhile to get a handle on better targeted per-driver performance.

12. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Jorg Tells me that the new neos do not quite sound as "meaty" as the regular ones & intends on still selling both.

THey are lighter & sound a bit "lighter"

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Au contraire, depending on the drivers. I'd make sure of what driver is in there. If it's the original Eminence Deltalite 2512 don't buy one, that driver just doesn't make it and does not have the tone of the ferrite magnet drivers. This is not related to the magnet but to the rest of the driver parameters, most especially the porous duct cap that results in poor midrange response. The new Deltalite II 2512 is a vast improvement on the original, and to my ear sounds better than most of the ferrite magnet Eminences.

14. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    They're a little "lighter" in power-handling capacity, too.

I'm still on the fence as to which way I'm going, so I'm also looking forward to reading reviews.

*Subscribe*

'rick

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    FYI, I just pulled all the neos out of my brand new 310212. they sounded awesome, but their power handling is suspect. I blew the 2-12s in my 2nd gig with the cab. It was due to my mondo power amp, for sure. I've put standard series drivers back in, and all is right with the world again. To my ear, I didn't/don't hear a difference. It's the power handling that I'd be leary of. To Jorg's credit though, he fixed me right up. No questions asked. It's true, you really DO get what you pay for. :)

16. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    +1 on that

17. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Out of curiosity, how did you "blow" them, as in, what was the failure mechanism? Did you overheat them and thus let the magnetism leak out, did you open the voice coils, did you shred the cones or cause some other sort of mechanical failure?

Thanks,
    'rick

18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ

Well, they both read an open on the ohm meter now and produce no sound. One looks perfectly fine, while the other is all separated under the cone where the voice coil is. And, it was a sudden failure. No warning sounds or anything, just silence in the middle of the song. I did find out that one of them was reverse wired from the factory. Maybe this had something to do with it ? It did sound great before it blew too.

19. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks muchly for the additional info.

Any chance this was one of the supposed three miswired 310212s discussed in the big Schroeder thread?

Dumping the majority of the power from a mondo amp into just a few of the speakers in a cab would be... well, not nice.

'rick

20. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    once the magnetism leaks out, does it just pool up on the floor ? is it hard to clean up? soap and water?

:D

or does it flaot around, suspended above your bass rig? if so, it'd suck to have extra magnetism end up inthe wrong place.

:bag: