Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Major Splurge (the GAS at work)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mksolid, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    So I've been in the market for a tube amp in the past few months. I've managed to gather enough money to buy something nice. So my opportunities arise... there's a Sunn Sorado amp going on ebay, which will be ending while I'm writing this post. $455 or so now plus 50 shipping. So you can already tell that I didn't buy this ;).

I was a bit skeptical because everyone on here says that they got their Sunns for ~$200. Also, I found a listing on gbase that said some shop in Manhattan has the head with the matching 2x15 cab for $1000, and wouldn't you know, I'm going to Manhattan in the next few hours...

However, still not the case. Last night I was stopping at what I consider to be the best music shop in Northeast PA (where I live) - Magdon Music - to get a string change on my Rumblefish, and I get into a conversation with the chaps there...talking about tube amps (they are a licensed Mesa dealer (uhho!)). So, one of the gents says, "Would you be interested in a Walkabout or anything like that, and as he was saying that I mentioned the amps I looked at (Sunn, Mesa 400+), etc. and he says, "Well, I just got in a used Bass400 today, and he pulls out the head and it is wonderful looking, given to them by a friend. The price was right, especially from a dealer I trust, and I couldn't pass it up...

Hah, so what kinda cab should I hook up to this monster? (yeah I know, all that rambling for that question)

2. Peg_legs

Peg_legs

Nov 19, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Bergantino NV series.

3. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    How about the Epi UL series?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

What he said.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Mesa Powerhouse cabs sound like a golden light shining down from heaven with Mesa/Boogie tube heads.

6. A sealed box preferably. Tubes like sealed boxes best. With that said I have a Mesa 1516 and a diesel 2x15 and they both sound very Good with tube amps. But I find the new powerhouse cabs to be a bit too HiFi and not enough old school thump. They are just sterile sounding no life no booty.Also known as Modern sounding. But the best advice would be to take that mesa head and visit some shops and play,play,play until you find what you like. :cool:

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I guess it depends what style you are playing. I use my Powerhouse 10" cabs to get the right tone for my progressive alternative/metal band.

8. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm really aiming for a few things here. I make an eclectic mix of music, and some of my songs range from folk to rock to jazz to funk and back. So really what I'm looking for is a vintage thump as someone mentioned earlier in the thread - the main reason that I bought an all tube! :)

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Good call on not picking up the Sorado at $400+ I love mine but it's a practice/studio amp only as it doens't have the power for the gigs I play