1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the make-up of a bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Jun 23, 2003.

1. anyone point me towards a sight that shows how to make a bow or how bows are constructed. i don't want to make one i just want to demystify the things a bit by seeing how they work.

2. If you've done a Google search, I'm sure you have discovered that there is not a lot of information available on the web. Here's one site that has a little info on the subject but I don't know of any site that give any real details on how to make a bow. http://www.bright.net/~mohrbows/

There have been less than a half dozen books published on the subject, however the good ones are long out of print and command exceedingly high prices on the used book market. I have one book on bowmaking that I bought in the early 1970s. I could sell that book today for 20 times what I paid for it and it was quite expensive back then. Bow making appears to be as much art as it is craft. There are probably a hundred or more master violin makers for every master bow maker.