Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the make-up of a bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Jun 23, 2003.

1. anyone point me towards a sight that shows how to make a bow or how bows are constructed. i don't want to make one i just want to demystify the things a bit by seeing how they work.

2. If you've done a Google search, I'm sure you have discovered that there is not a lot of information available on the web. Here's one site that has a little info on the subject but I don't know of any site that give any real details on how to make a bow. http://www.bright.net/~mohrbows/

There have been less than a half dozen books published on the subject, however the good ones are long out of print and command exceedingly high prices on the used book market. I have one book on bowmaking that I bought in the early 1970s. I could sell that book today for 20 times what I paid for it and it was quite expensive back then. Bow making appears to be as much art as it is craft. There are probably a hundred or more master violin makers for every master bow maker.