The making of DSOTM DVD???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Hey all,

Have i been living under a rock or what? How long has the DVD of Pink Floyd's behind the making of, "Dark Side of the Moon", been out? I just picked it up a couple of nights ago, and was thoroughly fascinated. I do wish that there were some more clips of their live shows from around the time of the original process. In that way, we could see how the songs evolved. Never-theless, if you haven't yet watched it(Tower has it for an easy $15.99!), please do. It's a must for any Floyd(or classic rock) fan.

I only hope that their, "Live at Pompeii" is in the works to come out in the DVD format. Also, the Beatles, "Let it Be"! What's up with that, Sir Paul? Are you afraid that younger fans will judge you again for your beratement of George Harrison? "I'll play whatever it is you want me to play..........or I won't play at all. Whatever pleases you...." Ouch!:eek:
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I only have the DVD to the making of Steely Dan's Aja...totally dig it + the idea of what went on behind the scenes in the making of some of these classics.
    I somewhat tempted by this Floyd DVD; I'm also thinking about Hendrix' Electric Ladyland & Stevie's Songs In The Key Of Life(both in Columbia House' DVD Club).

I think this series also includes The Who's Who's Next & Deep Purple's Machine Head.

I'm interested in any reviews/critiques of the above.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A friend sez his wife bought him this on DVD as an import; at least, I assumed he meant DVD(& not VHS).
    I'll send off an e-mail for details...

He did say Yoko was "scary", very scary".

Meanwhile, I did find a book called Get Back by Doug Suply at Amazon's UK site...this book is about the "Hell" that was Let It Be.
  4. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I don't about the States, but these behind-the-scenes documentaries were shown over here on terrestrial TV as a series called Classic Albums - the 'Songs In The Key Of Life' one in particular is excellent - it's amazing to see Stevie recreate some of those keyboard riffs, play the drums etc. - also some all-too-brief footage of Stevie reunited with the SITKOL band playing 'Sir Duke'.

Do you get the Biography Channel in the States? If so, look out for an hour documentary on Stevie Wonder - it's the Classic Albums documentary.

The 'Machine Head' and 'Who's Next' programmes were also very good.
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I feel like i've been under a rock, I didn't know anything about this. Must check it out.

Thanks for the info.