1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"The Man Who Invented Christmas" (the movie)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Saw the movie on Friday. It was a good little movie without a lot of flash, violence or dramatic romance. The movie tells the story of Charles Dickens writing "A Christmas Carol." The tale explores the possible influences on the book from the author's life as a child, his family, his friends and his life London.
    This is not a documentary but a story created partially from what can be known about Dickens with lots of imagination and whimsy thrown in. Parts of the movie are pretty funny especially when his characters come to life and start following him around like an entourage.
    Really well written and the acting is superb. Dan Stevens does a great job portraying a somewhat eccentric Dickens as he struggles with debts, interruptions, his publisher, fictional characters who refuse to cooperate and his charming con man father. Christopher Plummer nearly steals the show with his portrayal of Scrooge.
    I give the movie a five burrito rating. But then I am a writer an I love srories about writers and the writing process.
    The Man Who Invented Christmas - Official Site

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Looks very inventive. I think I'll check it out.

Thanks for the review!

HaphAsSard and slobake like this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Between Charles Dickens' stories, and Queen Victoria/ Prince Albert importing German Christmas customs - like having a decorated tree actually in the house - they really did invent Christmas as we know it today. Well, not the relentless shopping pressure and never-ending carols that start around Halloween, but they set the pattern..;)