The ManThing: Wow...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Jul 7, 2008.

1. That has to be one of the most beautiful, audibly, and amazing, technically, pieces of music I've ever heard.

It is hard for me believe he is even human.

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Michael Manring is a monster player. He is so incredibly musical and organic.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    So smooth. Like a rainbow after a refreshing rain.

4. Monkey Bassist

Monkey Bassist

May 18, 2008
    He is indeed an amazing Bassist, Musician and Artist. My preconceived notions of Music and the Electric Bass were blown away after discovering him and his Music, for sure :).

5. Very well put

6. Wow is the only word, that was beautiful!

7. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Michael is just insane when it comes to his own personal expression.
    The thing is, is that he is a monster when playing straight ahead jazz, rock, blues etc...
    as well.

Check out his albums that he has done with "McGill Manring and Stevens" entitled "What We Do" and others.

He is also one of the most soft spoken and humble people I have met.

8. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    I got into MM around the time he released Drastic Measures (92-ish???).

He still blows me away - constantly.

Fantastic vision, composition, playing and a truly nice bloke.

9. One of the many really cool things about Michael is that he often plays very small venues w/somewhat obscure artists, which allow you to see him up close. HIGHLY recommended.

10. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    My thoughts exactly.

After seeing Michael live for the first time (bass clinic and solo concert) at a tiny gallery here in Seattle a couple of years ago, when I finally got over being absolutely stunned, I recall thinking:"Ok! So... NO LIMITS!!"

A truly astonishing player, best appreciated live.

11. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Yeah, seeing the cat live is something that should definitely NOT be missed. The thing that always gets me is that he has such total CONTROL over the instrument that nobody I've ever heard has ever come close to achieving. It comes out so fluid and organic you really can't believe that what you're hearing is coming from the instrument you yourself play.

12. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC

Speaking of wow :eek:

13. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    Yeah, I was waiting for someone to post that.

IMO I reckon that just about takes the all time 'most astonishing' piece of solo musicianship on any instrument I have ever seen or heard.

Really. Never been so utterly utterly blown away by a single guys playing before.

He is a creative genius IMO. Truly...

14. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    amazing composition.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021