The many bassists of the Black Crowes

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 311fan2001, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Like a few others I know, I'm a Black Crowes superfan. I can never get enough of the Crowes. I want to know what everyone else thinks of the few bassists they have had. I personally think that they are great bassists, I know the last one played with Gov't Mule on their last tour. What do you all think?
  2. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i love the crowes, but the only one that comes to mind is j colt. who else is/has played bass for them?
  3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I saw Gov't Mule last April w/ both Audley Freed on Guitar and Andy Hess on Bass played part of the shows. Jason Newstead was the other guest bassist. My thoughts? Well, neither was Captain Al! But both did acceptable jobs. Neither really distinguished themselves by their playing but maybe that's understandable playing someone else's material. Jason was a much more animated player onstage so was slightly more entertaining, but my eyes were glued on Warren Haynes most of the time anyways.
  4. I've seen Jonny Colt, he plays in Atlanta with a band called Asphalt Blaster...straight outta the Motorhead school...he is a pretty good performer. The music didn't call for anything other than supportive bass, wasnt paying a whole lot of attention.

I saw Greg Rzab w/the Mule...I think he used to play w/the Crowes...George Porter was the other guest bassist, and I was much more impressed with his groove than Greg's...Greg's sound was a little thin and he played a little on top.
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Who played bass on the live Black Crowes with Jimmy Page album? He did a great job on all those Led Zep tunes.
  6. I've seen Gov't Mule with Andy Hess as well. He is very good, but isn't the kind of power player that the Mule needs.