1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The maple neck dilemma (L2K vs. P-Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Jun 24, 2005.

1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    The next 2 basses on my radar for a temporary fix for my G.A.S. are a G&L L-2000 & a Fender P-Bass (late 70's - early 90's, I don't really care).
    Here's the thing: I'm REALLY jonesin' for a maple neck. Haven't played one in many, many years, & everything I own is ebony or rosewood (3 Ricks, T-bird, Jazz Bass).

I was originally going to get the L2K with the maple neck, but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. I'm a pick player (about 90% of the time) & play fairly aggressively. My concern is that with those G&L MFD p/u's being rather hot, a maple board on that may be a bit "much" if you know what I mean.

So I'm leaning towards getting the P-Bass with the maple neck, as the passive/classic P-Bass tones on a maple board my compliment my playing style a bit better.

Thoughts?

2. I don't have a G&L so can't comment on that one. I did just get a Geddy Fender Jazz - maple neck and think it's great. I had only played rosewood and was a little hesitant about the maple but have found it to be somewhat brighter than the rose but perfectly suited to the jazz. Overall, I don't really hear that much difference in sound. It does, however, FEEL different, a bit slicker than rose, faster, somewhat easier to jump octaves. AND it looks great. Overall, somewhat brighter than my rose, slicker feeling, fast, and looks good. I'm looking to order a G&L SB2 with a maple neck next. I don't see going back to rosewood anytime soon.

3. I've played maple necks for quite some time now; ´77 Jazz, '69 Tele Bass, '77 P-bass. To me, maple is "funkier"; more punch, brighter attack. I kind of miss rosewood, though, for it's warmth and broad bottom.
    I guess you have to choose between punch and warmth. BTW, I tried a G&L L-2K with a birdseye maple board, which was awesome!!