Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The maple neck dilemma (L2K vs. P-Bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Jun 24, 2005.

1. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    The next 2 basses on my radar for a temporary fix for my G.A.S. are a G&L L-2000 & a Fender P-Bass (late 70's - early 90's, I don't really care).
    Here's the thing: I'm REALLY jonesin' for a maple neck. Haven't played one in many, many years, & everything I own is ebony or rosewood (3 Ricks, T-bird, Jazz Bass).

I was originally going to get the L2K with the maple neck, but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. I'm a pick player (about 90% of the time) & play fairly aggressively. My concern is that with those G&L MFD p/u's being rather hot, a maple board on that may be a bit "much" if you know what I mean.

So I'm leaning towards getting the P-Bass with the maple neck, as the passive/classic P-Bass tones on a maple board my compliment my playing style a bit better.

Thoughts?

2. I don't have a G&L so can't comment on that one. I did just get a Geddy Fender Jazz - maple neck and think it's great. I had only played rosewood and was a little hesitant about the maple but have found it to be somewhat brighter than the rose but perfectly suited to the jazz. Overall, I don't really hear that much difference in sound. It does, however, FEEL different, a bit slicker than rose, faster, somewhat easier to jump octaves. AND it looks great. Overall, somewhat brighter than my rose, slicker feeling, fast, and looks good. I'm looking to order a G&L SB2 with a maple neck next. I don't see going back to rosewood anytime soon.

3. I've played maple necks for quite some time now; ´77 Jazz, '69 Tele Bass, '77 P-bass. To me, maple is "funkier"; more punch, brighter attack. I kind of miss rosewood, though, for it's warmth and broad bottom.
    I guess you have to choose between punch and warmth. BTW, I tried a G&L L-2K with a birdseye maple board, which was awesome!!