Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mars Volta-de-loused in the comatorium

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frankencow150, May 30, 2003.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Ok, just so you know, this WILL be the best cd of all time, no doubt about it. Their 3-song ep was ammmaaazzzingggg and this ones gonna have around 11 songs I believe. It's being released June 24th I'm pretty sure. The Mars Volta has 2 members from AT THE DRIVE-IN and has ATDI elements but faster, more experimental (as if ATDI wasn't experimental enough), more electronics, and even a bit of a latin feel. So who is really excited about this cd like I am? Now discuss...

2. I think I read that one of their members just died.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yeah, Jeremy Ward, the FX guy. He added alot of sound to them but went kind of unnoticed. According to their website, their still going on without him.

4. I got that EP soooooooo long ago, and I still listen to it. What's the release date on the LP?

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    the latest official date i've heard is june 24th, but i've heard rumors about it being in july. if i hear about it, ill post it on here.

6. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I loved their EP, and some of there other songs I found on the internet were cool too. Let us know if you find out the official date.

7. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I got an advance copy of the CD from the radio station I work at, and it's excellent. My friend described it as "newer percussion heavy Fugazi meets Pink Floyd." I agree with that description.

8. bump

9. i got the album on soulseek...this is the best cd ive heard in years.....it doesnt seem right saying this but i honestly think mars volta is better than at the drive in (who i am a huge fan of)...it can be compared to at the drive in's vaya in some ways........Im definitely going to buy this cd....check it out

10. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Yea I got the advanced copy off mIRC and I think its awesome. All of the songs are very well structured and they all go on for a lot more than 3 minutes. I'm looking forward to buying this CD when it comes out.

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE: June 24th

yipee!

I can't wait. I would download it off the internet but I wanna wait for it. Super duper!

12. Mars Volta= Teh ROCK!

13. I cant belive I missed this thread. I already have the whole album on my computer and it's simply amazing. Everybody needs to go buy this album!!!

14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    wow...i just bought it today it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. oh my god! i know lots of people on this board are really into these genres...rock,punk,salsa-latin,prog rock,indie...well this is all of this rolled into one cd!!! SERIOUSLY, all of you people must purchase this. and it's only $7 at best buy. ok theres so much i could say about this, just, all you prog rock guys get this and realize how much more experimental and better it is than rush,Yes,etc...no, that wasnt a joke.

15. Good stuff. They're probably the best new band out right now, so everyone should check 'em out if they haven't already.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I ordered it today, and I can't wait! They are amazing!

17. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I heard most of this today. I need to hear it more before I'll really know what to think of it. It's all over the place, but done so well. I really like it. The drums are really cool, and the vocals sound surprisingly good.

And I agree with what Nate Dawg said ("newer percussion heavy Fugazi meets Pink Floyd."), but add some progressive rock to that mix..

Very cool.

18. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    It is an excellent album best of the year by a long way. I saw them support the chilis in london this year and it was fantastic not only because the performance was so good but also because of the reaction of your average modern day chilis fan. Quite a picture i think me and my mate were the only 2 that liked them in the entire arena!!! Brilliant.

Me and some friends were discussing the other day that there's a real lack of original musicians today, admittedly it is hard to be original with so much music about but i think that omar rodriguez from mars volta has managed it incredibly innovative.

Did you know Flea and John Frusciante appear on de-loused?

In conclusion a terrific exciting genre-busting group best album i have heard for a long time. a real breath of fresh air!

19. I agree 100%, some of the most amazing music I have ever heard for sure. I'm so excited for the Boston show.

It says in the booklet that John plays on Cicatriz, wich I already knew, but I thought he played the solo nearing the end of Drunkship of Lanterns as well. I was surprised to see that Justin Meldal Johnson played DB on Televators.

20. OH....MY.....GOD

This is the most amazing piece of (new) work I've heard in at least 5 years. I listen to a very wide variety of music and am rarely this taken back by an album. I bought this last night and I am still completely stunned. It is like nothing I have ever heard.

YOU MUST BUY THIS ALBUM.