Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute (quick review)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by baba, Dec 20, 2004.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have a copy of The Mars Volta's new CD, Frances The Mute, due in March.

Informal review after one listening:

Very cool. At times it smells like Led Zep, Pink Floyd (big nod to Echos), and there are some very Queen-esque harmonies. All that with the usual Mars Volta feel/vibe of prog rock, punk, and latin. Very similar effects as in Deloused are sprinkled throughout.

Track two is their most accessible and radio friendly song to date. Without the distinct vocal stylings you might not even know it was them.

Great Cuban groove through one of the songs, some trumpet action, some spanish vox.

I really liked it and think anyone that liked Deloused will like this as well. Buy it in March!

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    Sounds awesome. What is the tracklist like? One of my friends said he had heard that it was one 75 minute song. I had my doubts, he's not very reliable and since you have metioned a second song...

The Mars Volta are nuts, especially live. I saw them with the Chili Peppers a year and a half ago. AMAZING.

peace
    johnny

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    It's 5 tracks, I think all but one named with multiple parts and what I consider very pretentious titles (making them that much more prog). One or two are very longggg tracks. I'll try to remember to get track names/times tonight and post them.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    i cant wait! killer band!

nice grab on that CD baba!

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Here's the song list for the 5 tracks:

CYGNUS....VISMUND CYGNUS
    A. SARCOPHAGI
    B. UMBILICAL SYLLABLES
    C. FACILIS DESCENUS AVERNI
    D. CON SAFO

THE WIDOW

L' VIA L' VIAQUEZ

MIRANDA THAT GHOST JUST ISN'T HOLY ANYMORE
    A. VADE MECUM
    B. POUR ANOTHER ICEPICK
    C. PISACIS (PHRA-MEN-MA)
    D. CON SAFO

CASSANDRA GEMINI
    A. TARANTISM
    B. PLANT A NAIL IN THE NAVEL STREAM
    C. FAMINEPULSE
    D. MULTIPLE SPOUSE WOUNDS
    E. SARCOPHAGI

6. [fanboy]

This band seriously needs to break up and reform At The Drive-In

[/fanboy]

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

7. who said he pirated the CD? Maybe he has connections with record exeutives or something.

8. I actually prefer the Volta. ATD-I were good, but I prefer the musicianship of the Volta. Anyone heard anything by De Facto, Omar and Cedric's spin-off Dub collective?

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    OK, I gave it a second listen on the way to work. Incredible.
    Quick summary:

Track 1 (approx 13 min) - guitar buried in static, then machine gun drums and textbook Volta sound carries the track.

Track 2 (approx 6 min) - radio play single, last minute or more is gratuitous effects so I'm sure that will be shaved for the single.

Track 3 (approx 12 min) - my favorite, hard rock groove with slightly funky edge and spanish vox, followed by slow traditional cuban groove with english vox, this goes back and forth for the song.

Track 4 (approx 13 min) - squeaky pullys/wheels? and then Floyd's Echoes, 4 minutes into track 1st guitar comes in and slowly builds with trumpet and vox.

Track 5 (approx 30 min) - WOW, drop that hit of acid you've been saving for this one! sounds like the start of Thriller with the spooky talking, then turns into a very Volta prog fest followed by a spacey psychedelic freak out party. raging sax solo near the end.

Buy this album. Truly amazing.

10. I heard the last song (cassandra something) and man am I blown away. This CD is going to be huge when it comes out.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I actually really like De Facto, it's stuck with me. While my interest in Mars Volta has waned a little, I still enjoy De Facto. I guess Jeremy Ward added more to the music they created than I once thought.... :meh: .

If you like De Facto, you might want to check out Free Moral Agents, which is Ikey's own side-project. It's basically the key parts of Mars Volta with a jazzier backing. I'm not as big of a fan of it as I am of De Facto, but it's still good music and worth looking into.

12. what about Juan Alderete's playing???