Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mars Volta in Chicago

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Boom, May 18, 2005.

1. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I saw the Tuesday show.

What the hell happened?

Half hour late start, 7:30 PM
    Done by 8:50.
    No encore.

As good as the show was (although, questionable sound on the main floor), this was a rip off.

If anyone knows if there was some issue that ended the show early, please share it. :scowl:

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    similar experience:
    show started half an hour late (if not abit more, so 9ish)
    Terrible sound for the first 30ish minutes (drunkship of lanterns)
    Ended around 11:30 maybe...decent sized show
    no encore.

What was the set list? I'd assume somehtign went pretty wrong for them to cut out that late, they usually don'tr hsy from playing long...

3. Cedric and the boys have a notorious reputation for quitting shows early if they

A. Don't get much crowd reception
    B. Cedric or Omar are in a bad mood
    C. Don't like the city (which deals with B, I guess)

The same thing happened here at the Houston show. And apparently they did this alot during their ATDI days too.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats funny, in NYC when i saw em it lasted 2 hours.

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    was omar in ATDI too?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes

oh and btw

They put signs up saying that they reserve the right to end a show early for numerous reasons

mostly if they arent enjoying themselves or if there is moshing, throwing of things, etc.

7. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    It may have to be B.

As far as A, the crowd was ecstatic from start to stop.
    And C, they played the same venue the night before (both shows were sold out) and played for close to 3 hours.

8. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    saw them last year with APC , dunno if they were late since i got there late.
    The sound mix was horrible, just a room full of mud. Which is too bad i wanted to hear their tunes.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The sound mix was bad for drunkenship (opening) but then they made it perfect.

10. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    why is their sound always bad at the beginning? do they not do soundcheck?

11. Yes.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They mgiht like it like that for that song. Its very drum and bass heavy and the guitar is supposed to be quiet, so that COULD be it, they just dont realize how muddy it sounds.

13. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I would doubt it but who knows. Man I love these guys but they seem a lil bitchy/on the snob side, I mean you can't stage a concert and try to force ppl not to mosh and then close her down an hour early cause they don't listen... I mean moshing is a part of the scene ...(i don't do it though, personally I hate it )

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well no ones telling you to like the way they act. If you disagree with their actions simply dont see their show. ;)

15. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    but i enjoy them so much :) and their tight clothes...Omar must shop at kids stores or somehting :p

16. Something about that just doesn't seem professional.

17. So it's cool to be a prima donna bitch?

Sorry, they get paid a lot of money to entertain people.

You don't like playing for people, make your money from your record sales. Don't rip off the people that pay to see you.

18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ya this is hurting my opinions of them. Up until this point I had great respect for them, especially after watching some of their live videos. :( I really enjoy this band and now I don't know if I want to take the chance to pay to see them perform, I might end up with a $40 ticket for 1 hour :(.

19. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I agree with all the last 3 comments made. I still love em but they r kinda falling down the respect ladder.

EDIT: I got a really good live video of them playing roulett dares on Big Day Out 04, its pretty funny. And I have a hilarious one of ATDI on Conan....