Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mars Volta - Roseland Ballroom 5/5/5

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, May 6, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So on Cinco de Mayo , how can you do better than seeing a mexican (mostly) band? I love this band, religiously. I saw them in NYC last night. I have their demo cd (tremulant) , deloused in the comatorium, frances the mute, and a live EP they released.

Well the concert was awesome. (ALso, Flea and Serj from SOAD were above me in the VIP balcony) SUch a great atmosphere. This band rocks tat playing small venues. Such an emotional experience.

Its hard to put a setlist for them bc they never stop playing the whole time basically, but it was like

Intro thing
    Drunkenship of Lanterns
    25 minute jam going into..
    Concertina (from demo)
    Take the veil cerpin taxt
    L'Via L'Vasquez
    then i believe it was Roulette Dares
    Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus
    then Cassandra Gemini

Any TMV fans? ANyone else see the tour yet?

Also, Juan Alderete's tone is amazing. Ampeg rig, Fender basses. I believe in the beginning he was using a fretted jazz, and tehn he switched to his fretless P/J. Yummy

2. golden_boy

golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004
    ah good old TMV - I saw them a few months ago at Manchester, best gig Ive been to :)

3. Due to other obligations I can't go, but I sold my tickets to Bryan Bailey. I'm really surprised that they did not play Cicatrez ESP. Seems like that would be the staple live song...

4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I will be seeing them next Tuesday at the Riv.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I saw them back in March in Manchester. They're probably one of the most underrated major label bands.

edit: golden boy, are you a Manc?

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I absolutely dig "Deloused in the Comatorium", superb album, only heard bits of Frances the Mute, and it sounded very unstructured, but the first album had to grow on me too. I thought they were crap the first 10 times I listened to them, the 11th time it was like "-ZING- damn these guys are amazing!" :)

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Were the horns triggered? Or did they just exclude those songs?

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    between cygnus and cassandra theyve got that type of song covered.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They had the bari-sax guy there. Hes awesome.He also plays flute.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thank god, I was hoping they wouldn't do something as lame as play to a DAT.

Van Halen does that. :rollno:

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nope, everoyne was there, especially Pancho (Omars brother who plays bongo drums (im pretty sure its omars bro and not ced's). There was also a special guest on keyboards, one of their idols. He filled in for Ikey during one of the jams and totally shredded out on a solo.

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    They came to Atlanta a week or two ago. I wanted to go but the tickets were sold out. I heard the sound was horrible, like you could only hear the drums and vocals. Wish I could have gone.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The sound mix was a little off during the intro (guitar was weak) but then they got it perfect and man did it kick ass.

14. I'm seeing them Thursday in Montreal and I'm dying, especially after all this! So they played all of Cassandra Gemini? That's insanity... how long was the set? Looking at the setlist it looks as if the show should only last like 45 minutes... of course their songs aren't 3 minute radio hits!

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Their songs are about 10 minutes each on average and they jam inbetween them and extend solos and stuff. The set was about 2 hours. Maybe a little longer.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    They played 6 songs in 2 hours when i went to see them :)

17. I saw them last night.

I don't remember much of the set but they played great and played for a long time. I love the no smoke law in RI, I can go to a concert and not die from lack of air.

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heh there were lots of people smoking cigarettes and marijuana when i went.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  20. Im listening to Frances the Mute at the moment - its just stunning! I would love to see them tour down under....