Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mars Volta

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MCT, Jun 30, 2005.

1. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Jaun Alderete... good, great, or anything

OPINIONS PLEASE!!!

2. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I did a search and I found one post about him... I feel bad

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to think Juan Alderette was a wanker when he was in Racer X. Just a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. But now that he's in The Mars Volta, I think he's a genius. The Mars Volta is pretty hard to listen to at first, but once you get used to them, it's hard not to think they're cool. And Juan's bass parts have gotten so far away from that hair-metal wank crap he played in Racer X, so that's a good thing.

4. Racer X was so much beter than Mars Volta, musically and sound wise. Mars Volta tries to be "spacy and new age" and ends up lame and makes me want to fall asleep. For spacy new age stuff I have Pink FLoyd, for virtuosity i have Racer X.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    to be fair, they only sound spacey cause the guitarist sucks and uses effects to do interesting things (see the bassplayer issue with juan on the cover)...i saw them live when they opened for the chili peppers in 03 and i thought they sucked, the only redeemable elements being the bassist and the drummer... little did i know i just needed to give them a chance and the redeemable elements would still be the bassist and the drummer lol. they do rock though.

6. They're a completey different band to Pink Floyd AND Racer X. Expand your horizons a little bit.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Why can't people just like what they like? Why do people always say things like "expand your horizons" and "open your mind" when they say they don't like a particular band. If the guy doesn't like them, he doesn't like them. It doesn't signify a closed mind.

People always accuse me of having a closed mind. I tell them, "My mind is open just enough to keep people from dumping a load of poop into it."

Having said all that, he's completely wrong about the Mars Volta. They are great! :D

8. I love the Mars Volta and each of their bassists. Juan Alderete is tremendous, both live and on album. His use of effects and his sweet solos on album stand out, but live he's all about locking in with Jon Theodore - TMV's live rhythm section is tight! At first I was disappointed that he didn't seem to stray from the root and rarely played fills from De-loused (and even some from Frances the Mute, which he played on). However, later in the show, when he busted out the fretless P, he was incredible. Amazing player.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I LOVE JUAN AND THE MARS VOLTA AND AT THE DRIVE-IN

o theres teh caps lock button tehjehehtewatgnejwarngrekjag

no really. tmv is amazing, i saw them in NYC and me and my drummer worship them.

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    A fellow bassist friend of mine played the Mars Volta cd for me. He's a good player, but the music sounded very dated to me.

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I want to like them. I should like them. The individual parts they play are fantastic and original. The vocalist can actually sing, a rarity these days. But for some reason, they just don't make my CD rotation. The whole is less than the sum of the parts. I just can't get into them, sorry.

12. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    A little confused about The Mars Volta, in the booklet that comes with Frances the Mute. It says: Music written and drected by: Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez
    Does that mean that Omar wrote everything and everyone save the singer did nothing creative?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not exactly. Juan explained it in his BP cover story. Omar does write all the songs and has ideas for parts for everyone in almost all their songs. They will also come up with many of their own parts in jam sections, but Omar always retains full approval of everything. According to Juan, Omar's a pretty good bassist.

14. Knives

Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    Thanks, been curious about that since I picked up the album. I saw Widow on MTV en Espanol(wish I knew the little code for that letter) and I just went out and bought the album with a friend who was asked who the fuzz The Mars Volta was... had to tell him I did not know yet. Overall I am pretty impressed with the overall feel of the music except that from my understanding the title song "Frances the Mute" was left out of the album for lack of space but I hear many superfluous sounds including a few minutes of ambient sounds and the like... that kind of annoyed me.
    Well anyways, thanks for the clarification.
    Kevin (Knives)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    TMV is on tour with System Of A Down and they're coming to Orlando. I wanted to go see them, but my wife flat-out refuses. First, she hates both bands with a passion. Second, she says, "Honey, we're too old to go to a show like that." I said, "Hey, the bass player's only 2 years younger than me." She replied, "But he's getting paid to be there. You're not." Then she reminded me when I took her to go see an ECW wrestling show a few years back and we felt really uncomfortable because I was the oldest person there not working for ECW and she was one of like 5 girls there. She's right. I AM too old to go see a show like that.

16. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Hey. Long time reader, first time poster.

Anyhow, I absolutely love TMV and every aspect of their music. They are all extremely talented, unique, and original. I'm a big fan of ATDI as well. As far as Juan goes, I think that his style complements the music and other musicians almost perfectly. I saw them live last year with A Perfect Circle, and it was absolutely incredible. They have more stage presence than any band I've seen before. If they are playing anywhere near your hometown, do yourself a favor.

17. Macron69

Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Man, never say that to yourself. Your never old enough for any kind of concert. In any case , go find some nephew or niece to go with you if you fell that bad.

18. No offense, but your wife's attitude sucks. If you enjoy the music, you have all the reason you need to go. Besides, if Juan Alderete is around 40 and you're two years older, then that hardly makes you too old.

19. A friend of mine introduced me to the Mars Volta, I wasnt keen on it at first cuase I need time to listen to sit and really listen to like any cd. I bought Frances the mute, Loved it and then went out and bought Deloused. Juan is a great player, and Cassandra Gemini is I think a masterpeice of a song, 33 minutes of song is a whole lot to memerize. I saw them live when they came here to NYC and loved it. I think I like Flea's flatwound tone better on Deloused, But Juan's fuzz tone is great, Especially during his solo parts during CG. Omar is a good guitarist, He does play a little sloppy but so what, Since when is playing guitar/bass about being all perfect and making no mistakes what-so-ever? I think he just feels the music and when he f!@#'s up, He corrects him self and keeps going.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which NYC show did u go to? I went to the roseland on cinco de mayo.