Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Masquerade is Over

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hello, an infidel from the electric side here. I was painting and listening to my old jazz vocalists CD, when Carmen McRae's "The Masquerade is Over" came on. In the beginning, the bassist started out by playing cool harmonic runs. I was wondering if anyone knew who that bassist was. It was the first time I'd heard harmonics played on a double bass like that. The song came out in the '40's I think.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check a little later COULDCHUCK, she wasn't leading bands until the middle 50's. A quick glance has THE MASQUERADE on a live record done in 78, but I'm sure it wasn't the first time she recorded it.

I'll do some digging...

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    If it is the one off Ms. Magic, it is Buster Williams. I have it on LP, but haven't listened to it in forever. It is actually from the 1971.

I can't check it to be sure, as my Harmon Kardon crapped out on me, but I actually bought a record player on E-bay this morning, so if it gets here soon, I'll check it out.

Monte

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow! The 70's?! BTW, I feel honored. I've been Fuqua'd TWICE! :cool:

5. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Johnny Griffin wrote a bop head over these harmonies, "56"
    'cause the tune has 56 bars. Anybody heard it?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You betcha. Of the LIVE record with Mads Vinding on bass...

But MASQUERADE is a 32 bar tune, innit?

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Nope.

Let's see -- 16 bar A A, 8 bar B, 16 bar A

--

In cut time it would be half that. Nothing adds up to 32.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Unless you're thinking of the george Benson tune, in which case I don't want to re-live it to count measures.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Naw, I was just trying to sing it in my head, but I got distracted by something shiny.

Mads Vinding didn't get distracted, he sounds great on that rekkid. Nice solo on the ballad SOFT & FURRY, if'n I recollect correctly...

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't that be - unless you're thinking of the Leon Russell tune....? ;)

Back on topic - I'm sure I've seen footage of Buster Williams on TV doing some really flashy solos...that didn't have much to do with the tune - but were kind of "impressive".....? :meh:

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    So -- that makes two people guilty of that crime.