Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE MATCHUP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassboy7, Dec 20, 2005.

1. bassboy7

bassboy7

Jun 21, 2004
    Chicago
    Hey,
    The first match the Sweet and tough GL 2500 vs. the hard-hitting Warwick Thumb 5. The Second match is between the Moderate Cort A-5 vs. the smooth Peavy Cirrus. THe final Match is between the winners of the first two. The competition is who is a better Jazz bass, but can convert to rock and funk in an instant? This is the deciding factor. Who will win? You decide.

wOOt-Revian

2. Okay, maybe its just me but this thread seems kinda pointless. I don't know if you actually want legitimate opinions on these basses (possibly cause you intend on purchasing one) or if you just have too much time on your hands.

3. My guess is the G&L2500. I think it will hold down all those styles the best. (although I'm a diehard warwick fan)

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    i dissagree. I think that, although I have never played one personally, but form listening to recordings, the Warwick Infinity is the best bet. Great jazzy tone with (I think) 3 jazz pickups, and any Wwarwick is good for rock.

5. I agree totally that if the Warwick infinity was listed I would have picked it. :D
    But with only the thumb bass listed, I went with the G&L bass for the jazz side with good rock tones.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The G&L.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My warwick wins :p

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Cirrus > you.

9. bassboy7

bassboy7

Jun 21, 2004
    Chicago
    No, I do want opinions on which I should buy, right now, it looks like it will be a match between the Warwick Thumb(I would get infinity if I had the money), or the G&L 2500. Love them both, get any ideas, beefs?
    Revian

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    battle 1: warwick thumb

battle 2: peavey cirrus

battle 3: peavey cirrus

11. warwick thumb.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The thumb tone is good for anything. The 2500 may be tonally versatile, but the thumb gets it done with its unique tone.

Plus ive played 2500s taht i wasnt impressed by.

13. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another +1

15. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    True. I didn't see that. I think the infinity is better and nicer looking than the thumb anyway. My vote remains...warwick infinity :smug: :D

16. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Another vote for the Cirrus!

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Only because Roscoe wasn't mentioned, of course... ;)