Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Matrix 1-3 and Terminator 1-2 ruled to be ripoffs - biggest payout due ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SMASH, Dec 6, 2004.

1. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    http://www.slccglobelink.com/news/2....Of.The.Matrix.Victorious-785067.shtml?page=1

"Stewart's allegations, involving copyright infringement and racketeering, were received and acknowledged by the Central District of California, Judge Margaret Morrow residing.

Stewart, a New Yorker who has resided in Salt Lake City for the past five years, will recover damages from the films, The Matrix I, II and III, as well as The Terminator and its sequels. She will soon receive one of the biggest payoffs in the history of Hollywood ... "

"According to court documentation, an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement. The investigation also stated that "credible witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward, claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski Brothers." These witnesses claimed to have seen Stewart's original work and that it had been "often used during preparation of the motion pictures.""

2. Damn...i never heard about that...

But they are still good movies no matter who they were stolen from IMO :)

3. Are both franchises (Matrix and Terminator) from that same screenplay?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    absolutley fantastic. i never heard of the story until today, but i applaud the descision to award her damages. I do some writing myself, and i can't imagine submitting an idea only to have it stolen and turned into not one, but two multimillion dollar money making machines.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    +1

6. MultiBillion dollar money making machines...

7. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    No idea.

As for people not having heard of this, I think the rightful creator says it best (and IMO this applies to a hell of a lot more than movie copyright cases).

"The reason you have not seen any of this in the media is because Warner Brothers parent company is AOL-Time Warner... this GIANT owns 95 percent of the media... let me give you a clue as to what they own in the media business... New York Times papers/magazines, LA Times papers/magazines, People Magazine, CNN news, Extra, Celebrity Justice, Entertainment Tonight, HBO, New Line Cinema, Dreamworks, Newsweek, Village Roadshow... many, many more!... They are not going to report on themselves. They have been surpressing my case for years..."

It's shocking, or perhaps it's very telling, how brazen the theives were (confirmed per FBI investgation and court decision) to have been openly copying from it during filming. They obviously felt they could get away with it and had no regard for what was morally or legally right. Wouldn't have been much easier to pay a fair due, or at least pay some hush money?

They're utter morons, IMO.

8. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Does that mean I have to change my avatar picture now??!? :D

9. No, just give proper credit and royalties. (from all the profit your avatar has generated for you...)

10. Two local Djs had this case on their site last year, and they had a copy of the "The Third Eye"s screen plays, at least the 1st page. It is Extremely similar to the matrix. I'll find the file.

11. theyre basicaly the saame stroy at heart (macchines taking over) so i could see them coming from the same back story

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Edit by Jazzbo:

I'm sorry, but legally, we can't copy and paste entire articles. You can post a link, and a line or two of text, but really, that's about it. If you have the original link, feel free to edit this post, removing my content, and entering only the link to the article.

Thank you.

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This is very interesting.

14. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    She needs to get her share if it's true. I mean, imagine someone making 2.5 billion off of your idea while you get nothing :crying: :mad:

15. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I remember reading somewhere about how secretive the Wachowski brothers were, I guess they had something to hide... :rollno:

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that's awful. I hope she gets a huge check.

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    That might help both series make more sense.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How do we know this story wasnt just created by some computer trying to fool us into thinking that its real when its really just a story designed to placate the fact that we are just human batteries in some giant machine?

:ninja:

Hide...this rise of TalkBassNet is happening! :eek:

19. Me too, but more than that, I hope the story swells underground and they're eventually forced to report it nationwide and be held accountable by public opinion as well. Her fight against these goons needs to be heard. She deserves credit, as well as cash.