The Matrix Revolutions: What do you think about the ending?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mz91, Nov 5, 2003.

1. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Well, the movie supposedly just started all around the world at the same time. I am going to watch it in a couple of hours. It supposedly is a reveal all ending. So i wanted to put a thread up to discuss the culiminating moment of the 3 Matrix films. :p

2. I was, like, so shocked that the butler did it. OOOPS! :hyper:
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I made the mistake of reading all the reviews, so I probably won't see it at all.
  4. thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I'm going to see it tonight. I hope your butler comment won't ruin it for me. Although I don't knwo what the butler has to do with anything, so I doubt it. At least, you better hope =)
  5. Okay.....spoiler here.....

I just saw it.
    While the movie itself was barely Okay, to me the ending came up short.
    Yes it had to end one way or the other. Either Neo or Agent smith. Good or evil.
    But i certainly didn't think they'd kill off both Neo and trinity. On top of it. This is supposed to be the end, and saddly they left the door open for moive #4. Neo being carted off, in a jesus like crucifix postion "never to be seen again"- i think not.
    I found the movie too slow, instead of allowing you to think about what the Oracle says or the french guy (maha vishnu), they hand you the plot line and spoonfeed you which ways the movie can end.
    Its all about balance, Neo and agent smith are antihesis. One is the balance of the other, if the balance shifts then the power struggle ends, becuz the architect of the system cannot stand inbalance, it was built into th ecode "checks and balances" says the oracle 20 mins into the movie)
    Just like part II, this movie had a number of points that i found didn't make sense (like in Part II neo fights off 1000's of Agent smiths on the playground and then flyies off superman tyle -so why did he fight when he could have flown off to begin w/) there are parts in this movie which are the same.
    My other gripes about the movie are why did they even pay laurance fishburne for his role in this movie?-hes got 10 lines and has about 7 mins of air time. While, links very hot wife has 20mins. The first hr (real slow) builds up to a great fight scene, but then fizzle when they wait around for Neo "to finish his battle against good and evil". strange.
    Anyway I thought the movie was Okay, but a letdown.
    Can't wait for "lord of the rings"
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I saw it this afternoon, also I thought it was ok, nothing more. I should have rent the second one before though!

I think we might have a fourth matrix but the action would be before the first one.

Anyway, even if it was not a great movie it was worth seeing it.
  7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I wonder what happens at the end? :D
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm still thinking about it.

of course there are spoilers here

overall, it was good.

I think that my expectations were WAY to high...especially after my discrepancy thread, talking to dave and all that, Really got me hyped up.

and the ending that they provided, was fairly...'vanilla'

it also wasn't very straightforward....which clashed with the very direct explanations and answers provided at the beginning of the movie.

the merovingian's wife is still very hot.

I'm still kind of torn between being satisfied and not.

the ending was there, and it was kind of open ended, but it wasn't, but it was....very subtle things leave it open.

It is unclear exactly what happened.

if anything has or will change(d)

and if anything has, is it substantial.

ya know?

did the core really kill everyone in the matrix? no, that couldn't be...but then again, after the neo/smith clash all you see are programs(oracle, architect, exile, seraph)

I read an online summary, and the ending of that was very different from the movie's ending...I wonder if whatever copy of the movie that guy got had an alternate ending...I wonder if perhaps on a soon-to-come DVD, the 'real' ending will be released...or a more complete ending.

I would have liked to have seen a scene that showed how the humans and machines could live together, something like 10 years later and show the real world, with humans in it, alongside the machines.

I was expecting a mind-****, and I got something more akin to a day old burrito, it's not bad, but isn't as satisfying as it was when it was fresh.

...hmm..I need to think about it some more I think.
  9. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I have to agree with WR.
    There are alot of people that dont like the film. I think that thats just because of your own expectations. When a film has such high expectations its practically impossible to live up to them. I personally really liked the film. But the ending i admit could have been more "drastic" maybe?
    I dont think that the people in Zion died. Becuase the oracle "won" against the architekt. And he stated in the second film that Zion would be destroyed. But since the oracle came through Zion lives. I am still not sure how the machine helped to kill Smith (neo turned smith) and all the other smiths. And why does neo explode and die completely. Where as the oracle became smith too but at the end you see her lying in the mud? How come she survives?
    That doesnt really make sense.
    And at the end when neo is on that platform thing. He is glowing with the same light that the machines radiate?
    Hmmmmmmm???? :confused:
    All pretty confusing.
    Well, all in all i thought it was good. But becuase of this whole peace thing, you dont know what happens to the matrix. If the peace ends was it a neverending cycle like the architekt first spoke of? No one knows. :mad:

Oh well....

Keep your opinions coming!

10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'm going out on a limb here, but...

Neo's just another program, right? or better yet, a human who's mind/psyche has been taken over by a program, no? kinda like how Bane was taken over by Agent Smith?

explains why he can: see "code" like the Merovingian, but also *see* the machine world; stay inside the Matrix, without being jacked in; and the Oracle keeps saying "know thyself", cause she prolly did it to him; and Smith keeps saying "its because of purpose we are here".

or is this something everyone figured out from "Reloaded", when the Architect was explaining the "anomaly" bit, and how its something the machines work into the Matrix, and Neo is just another programmed cog doing his purpose.

anywho, i'm thinking it was Neo's "humanness" that kept the Oracle/copied-Smith from knowing exactly what would happen after Smith beat the crap outta Neo. even she didnt know if Neo would really get up for round 2, cause he is still human after all. a human that could just as easily quit and let Smith take over everything. but cause he "chose" to keep fighting, he ultimately saved the day. even she said, she "believed".

i'm also thinking the Oracle planned this whole thing in the first place. she prolly programmed Neo herself. and she's prolly the one who helped Smith be able to copy himself onto others, for the sole purpose of allowing him to wreak havoc in the machine world, and allow Neo to make the deal and save them both.

she was the one who realized that machines and humans need each other, and prolly has been orchestrating and manipulating the Architect to make all this possible. again, she mentioned he doesnt look further than making all the variables equal out.

for all we know she could be the one, who literally saved both machine and human worlds!

ok, i'm rambling, but all in all, great plot ideas, hampered by horrible execution. so yea, the movie was so-so.

and a little too heavy handed with the sentiment, and waaaaaaay too Star Wars like for me: the race in the tunnel, the Empire-esque losing last stand, etc. didnt seem like homages, than desparate attempts to make the movie more fun. :meh:
  11. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    so what happened ?
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I never make decisions based on what the critics say.. Especially with a movie like this which will probably require several viewings to "get" everything.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    not only that, but the matrix movies seem to be either hit or miss with most people. Either you love 'em or you hate 'em, I have found very few people who are inbetween.
  14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Kinda like The Blair Witch Project (which BTW I thought was an excellent, extremely scary movie).
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, I loved the original, but the 2nd one was a disappointment IMO, so I'm already pretty close to what most critics wrote, so I rather rent it than shelling out 8.50 for it.
  16. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I wasn't too fond of the second movie when I first saw it either.. But, after repeated viewings and looking past the fight scenes to the deeper story underneath and what it implied to the mythos I thought it was fantastic..
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I thought the ending ws good . Granted, 90% of people who see it wont understand it, but i spent all of an hour talkin about it with my friend and World Hist. teacher today and we figured it out. Yes, they leave a door open for a 4th, but thye arent makin one, its just so you think they might. THe little girl Sati (means women's loyalty in Hindi) is suposdely going to be the new oracle, or cd-creator of the new matrix.
  18. i saw it last night and thought it was great. i think they ended it the best way possible (and i dont see them having a sequel at all!)

as for what happened (to the person that said its unclear) the source didnt kill anyone, didnt you listen to the oracle-architecht conversation? the matrix was "reset" as it was before the whole smith incident (which explains the scene with the black cat and girl lying on the sidewalk)
    apparently those that wanted out got out, but those that didnt want to leave didnt.

all in all this is definitely a great trilogy.
  19. co-creator? and where do you get the idea theres a new one? its the same one but now the people know of the "real" world and have the choice to leave the matrix.

as for sati becoming the next oracle i did pick up on that throughout the movie.

one question though: i thought when they were in the train station the parents were taking sati to the "real" world because they said programs with no purpose arent allowed to stay in the matrix (and he just siad what his and his wifes were, but not hers). what gives?
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No, they cant "leave" the matrix. Smith turned everyone in the matrix into him, and they were all destroyed. Now the matrix has to start over. Its technically the same matrix, but .new,