Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by simpleplanfreek, Feb 3, 2005.

1. simpleplanfreek

simpleplanfreek Guest

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    YEAH! Plain White T's are coming to Phoenix on the 12th!!! I was sitting in my room starting on my essay that's due on the 22nd, and I was just staring at my Simple Plan poster on the ceiling, and I was thinking, what is the meaning of life? If you think about it, it's pointless, and just clothes, you don't REALLY need that one t-shirt that is sooo in style this month that you HAVE to buy it... But then life, you do the same thing EVERY DAY... It's true! Wake up. Get ready for school. Go to school. Sit and stare off into space all day (Not like I do that.) Come home. Do homework. Eat Dinner. Sleep. Wake up. Get ready for school. (I think I get the point.) And what are we working up to? You guessed it! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! DEATH!!! THAT'S ALL!!! And why do I just HAVE to go to that PWT's live performance and meet them? We're all gonna end up in the same place...IN THE DIRT!!!!! And you only live once, I think, unless you believe in reincarnation. That's why I'm planning on converting to Buddhist, they're actually living for something instead of having nothing to live for. Naw, I probobly won't convert, but that's the big question of the day, and I don't think anyone will ever find the answer, unless you do believe in reincarnation. But yeah, life is just lived for pleasure, you're in school for about a quarter of your life, which is working towards a good job. Think of're wasting at least 15 years of you're life in skool...learning, preparing for a job that you'll probobly hate, I know my dad hates his job. I don't wanna end up like that...I wanna love my job, cuz that's practically your whole life, work, saving your money, to buy pleasurable things, no one really needs a house. I'd rather grow up live in the back of a van, or a box behind Safeway, and be a rock star, not making any money. Then you're actually doing different things everyday. Meeting new people, places, foods..............................37 seconds, I wrote a lot about my thoughts about the meaning of life.......I must have thought about a lot today...
  2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The way you are talking even if you believe in reincarnation there is no point... you just get reincarnated into the same situation with no point again!
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Waxing philosophical after staring at Simple Plan; that is must definitely a first.

Don't worry about life to much; Life sucks get a helmet. On the other hand I knew so many people when I was in high school who thought they had it figured out; and they totally freaked out when they finally realized they didn't know half of what they thought. My uncle was sure he wanted to be a marine biologist; he now oversees the construct and renovation on power plants. The degree that he got in the field he "loved" doesn't help him one iota. Don't immediately go with you love until you have researched it heavily (salary, job market, etc.)

Stay in school, go to college, find a job that you can tolerate that pays well enough and be happy.
  4. simpleplanfreek

simpleplanfreek Guest

Jan 28, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ya, you're right!! didn't realize that!!!
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Whether or not you believe in reincarnation is inconsequential to whether or not that actually happens when you die.
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Looking for a point in life is kind of missing the point. To reference HHGTTG again (slight spoiler) if you have an answer and question they cancel each other out and result in nothingness. Now you can achieve this completeness/nothingness by living your life for something you love and finding joy in what you do, or you can fade into obsolecence, a question mark on an otherwise blank page.

As they say, life is for the living, I, personally, live for the stories.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you want to know the meaning of life however, Observe deep sea ecosystems.
  8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

You also don't have to convert to a religious system in order to believe in something, if you really want to believe in it.
  9. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    A lot of people like their jobs. School can even improve the odds of you finding a job you like.
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    At 22 years old, I assume much happiness and meaningfulness in life is caused by making good choices related to on what field you work, where you live, et cetera. Personally, I also think that I should be able to leave somekind of heritage behind for the future generation, preferably a notable one. Simple hedonistic lifestyle just wouldn't do it.
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Become a supporting member, and read a little thread in the lobby. Might give you some answers.
  12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Life isn't about where you're going, the trip there is what's important. Life is meant to be lived. Everyone dies, but not everyone truely lives.
  13. Game. Set. Match.
  14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh - I was kind of thinking otherwise.
    Hm. I was thinking pretty much just the opposite.

15. Just four simple words

Work Hard Play Hard
  16. Are you oriental by chance? :D
  17. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You used the word "Hard" two does that still count as four separate words or is it really only three?
  18. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Wow, you're so insightful dude.

Read Atlas Shrugged .
  19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    That's not quite it.

It's about contentment, which is slightly different.