1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

The Mediocre Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Launching in a most 1109ish fashion from above @Morrighan discrete comment, I have a present for you all :hyper:!
    March is coming in like a fluffy lamb here! Have a seat. Please. Relax. Eyes shut. Breathe in. Hold. Breathe out :angel:.
    Here is non-mediocre Maestro di violino Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons, starting with Spring! You're welcome :headphone:!

Note: Some day, l shall play Vivaldi on bass guitar. I'm certifiably insane. Wait! If I purchased a 6-string bass guitar (not a Bass-VI), it could help, in theory. :p Do any of you own such a wild ERB creature? To all, good night.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    RodRy, OtherLisa, LKTraz and 6 others like this.
  2. Define "world" :whistle:

At times I'm still wondering whether misanthropy wasn't an option. But then, somehow... :rollno:

Basically yes, just that I think that extended ranging only starts at 7 strings or with fifths tuning.

I once ideed was looking for a 7 str. fretless, but neither could find one, nor was I too happy with attempts at correspondence with luthiers, custom shops etc.

I also tried fifths tuning on 4, 5, and 6 strings, but the problem to me is the different foci. On 5 and 6 I feel the point is more of the extended ranging aspect, while on 4 it's that I just enjoy the fifths tuning :oops:

Nite nite :)

3. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Human society, and it's interaction with itself.

The planet itself is fine, and will continue circling the sun long after people are gone. Life will continue, in one form or another. Until, eventually, allegedly, in a dozen billion years or so, the sun goes through it's death spasms. Or other cosmic calamity. No huhu.

Also, our galaxy and the Andomeda galaxy will be colliding sometime in that long away future. Since we're near the outskirts...

RodRy, OtherLisa, LKTraz and 8 others like this.
  4. versalog

versalog

Nov 10, 2007
    Vermont, U.S.A.
    Point taken. What’s the future pluperfect declarative declension of “seek?” The Hoff shall remain unsook, at least by versalog!

5. versalog

versalog

Nov 10, 2007
    Vermont, U.S.A.
    That’s 50% more strings than four strings! Who has that much time to practice and noodle around on two extra strings except maybe Lesh?

6. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Happy good morning

Boys-jump-from-a-second-s-008.jpg

ahwell now there is coffee and such

What to gig in? A Vivaldi Four Seasons hoodie or a Four Seasons Total Landscaping crop top? ... a Vivaldi hoodie could work well if worn ironically. But who can tell who's wearing something ironically anymore?

7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Crop top. With wrap-around (gingham or tie-dye) skirt, straw hat, pink crocs, and oversize cat-eye sunglasses.

RodRy, OtherLisa, LKTraz and 7 others like this.
  8. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    I will take this gig!

Not insane. Quite achievable. Where's my Marleaux?

RodRy, OtherLisa, LKTraz and 7 others like this.
  9. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Buckwheat Zydeco, Wait A Minute Baby:

Steve Bailey:

Steve Bailey | Berklee

upload_2021-3-3_5-52-53.png

plays a six-string fretless. One's opportunities never end when playing bass. Yes, that's Victor Wooten in his usual job as assistant bassist.

10. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009

OtherLisa, LKTraz, PsyDocHill and 4 others like this.
  11. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Five-year-old Egyptian rally driver's son takes the wheel:

Five-year-old Egyptian rally driver's son takes the wheel

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egyptian Mansour Tarek hopes to follow in his father’s footsteps and become a professional rally driver when he’s older.
    “I jumped and I turned the wheel like this”

upload_2021-3-3_6-1-18.png
    This reminded me of the time my younger brother and I were pretending we were driving the family Plymouth Fury III station wagon (with all proper associated vroom-vroom noises). As a matter of cultural trivia and associated memory (and don't ask me how I ever figured this out): in the ol' Plymouth, if one turned on the emergency flashers, tuned the turn-signal switch to the left, and stepped on the brake pedal at the same time then the radio would work without the key in the ignition switch. If I remember correctly, the radio did make a sort of thumping sound and volume went up and down in time with the emergency flashers; however, that was only a minor point. If any of you out there have access to a late 1960's Fury III, please give this a try and report back.

Now back to our regularly scheduled memory. My brother and I were merrily vrooming away. Since I was older I got to be in the driver's seat, handling the wheel. Somehow we must have bumped the automatic transmission lever and we started rolling back down the driveway. Panic ensued. Although neither of us understood enough about cars to know anything other than the fact that if we rolled into the street then we would probably be hit by another one, we did know that if such an event transpired then we'd be in trouble. If my memory is accurate, the emergency brake was firmly on. I stomped on both the emergency and regular brake pedals as hard as I could. For some reason, or, perhaps, for no reason at all, the brakes has no effect on rearward rolling. Of course this was 1960's American automotive technology. We were saved from trouble and embarrassment by said brother's bike which had been providently left, where all good bikes should be somewhat directly behind the Fury III. The resulting crunching and grinding noises brought our mother out. She shooed us out of the car, drove it forward off the bike, locked the car, and went back inside. She must have been having a busy day, since I don't remember her bawling us out or even saying anything.

Sore Thumb, RodRy, OtherLisa and 6 others like this.
  12. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Do you know the way to San Jose?

20210303_073208.jpg

13. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY

14. Too bad I'll be gone since long by then. Will surely make for a spectacular looking night-sky.

It doesn't feel like 150% :cautious: Actually I found it quite comfortable b/c of the narrower string spacing :oops:

Stereotypical South Indian answer: "Don't you think this is a little bit daring?" :unsure:

15. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Oh, it's always an option. :cautious:

This is from vague memory on the last reading I did on it, so pre-apologies for any details that may require correction, but very basically...

The Sun is estimated to have roughly 5 billion years' worth of fuel left. As it consumes the fuel, its mass will decrease, allowing the Sun to expand outward into a "red giant," as it burns more toward the red side of the spectrum. It will eventually absorb Earth (and possibly Mars, depending on the figures). Eventually, when the Sun runs completely out of fuel, the remnant gasses will blow away into space, leaving the Sun's exposed core as a (relatively) small "white dwarf" star.

But! There's no need to worry about any of that, because as the Sun grows, the temperatures on Earth will become far too hot to support life (I think I saw a figure for that around 4 billion years or so). No one will ever see/feel/notice the absorption and obliteration of Earth, because everything will be baked to a crisp long before "it" gets here. :thumbsup:

That's true, but space is big. the distances between objects in galaxies are so unimaginably vast, we'll barely even notice the "collision." It's probably more accurate to say the galaxies will "intermingle." The supermassive black holes at the centers of the two galaxies will actually take millions of years to "collide" proper. For those on the edges of the galaxies, if we're not flung out of the whole mess altogether (think of being gently chucked out of a car crash), certain very wide-area, long-term gravitational disruptions might occur, but they'd be at a scale we would hardly notice - if we were around to see it, that is (but which we won't be, because Andromeda will get here about the same time it'll become too hot for life to survive on Earth, because of that whole "dying Sun" thing).

Anything's possible, but if we were still here, the most we'd be likely to see would be a bunch more stars in the sky. :woot:

A nice animation from NASA of how it's likely to look can be found here:
    Andromeda–Milky Way collision

Ugh. Sentence form matters even in headlines, gang. That reads like the Egyptian rally driver is five years old, and has a son who drives. o_O

Gonna take a wild guess, and say power brakes need the engine to be running for them to work. :whistle: :D

Generally, but you'll need a very pricey ferry ticket to drive there from Australia. ;)

Indeed so! :thumbsup:

PsyDocHill, RodRy, OtherLisa and 6 others like this.
  16. Just one more string than my default of five. Doable. Maybe.

RodRy, OtherLisa, LKTraz and 5 others like this.
  17. Indeed. I was going to type "7" in that message but got too dizzy. I started on classical guitar. So six :)

18. I agree. My fivers have spacing ranging from (mostly) 16.5 to (rarely) 17.5 mm. It's comfy.

RodRy, OtherLisa, Winslow and 6 others like this.
  19. Charlie Tango

Charlie Tango Disciple of Duck Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Northern VA
    Reuters can do better than this. How does a five-year-old have a son, and how does Egypt let five-year-olds be rally drivers?

EDIT: Late to the party. Just saw @Winslow 's post above.

20. Charlie Tango

Charlie Tango Disciple of Duck Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Northern VA
    "Council vermin," (© 2021 @Fat Freddy) the both of 'em. :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021