1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Mediocre Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Apr 22, 2015.

1. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I can handle a bit of leg-pulling - I've always wanted to be a bit taller. Odd is normally good company, so I'm happy to be included!

2. No no, you didn't kill the thread Babe, you gave us something to think about - so we're thinking.

Drummer's being a sh1thead and yes there is some issue at play. Whetiher he's a "Dudes are betterer than Dudettes" or is Pigtail dipping - on a Gig this is really immature and self destructive for the whole band, and doing it behind your back without a nod or wink can't be excused as "I was just stretching you a bit" or "trying something" that's for rehearsal not the show. If it's not an aknowledged JamBand
    Shows are the best you can do, not for experimenting.

I think most mature players would have come across players with some personality issue that made them oil and water, personally I've never seen that have a resolution where everythings peachy and the band plays on because the intuitive communication between players is stuffed.

I'm afraid in my experience the best answer is another Drummer, it's not your job to heal him psycologically and if he's an immature Adult it won't happen anyway.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 6:05 PM
  3. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I had an ex wife like that. I never knew she was trying to tick me off until, in utter anger and desperation, she told me.

Ticked me off, it did.

LKTraz, Bass Dao, Morrighan and 3 others like this.
  4. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    OK, I'm interested, but confused. I see other people posting replies to your story, but I don't see your original post of it. Based on what responses I'm seeing, I think you have some serious thinking to do. How hard will it be to replace your drummer, vs. how much does his drumming and jerk attitude affect your enjoyment. Which ever way the scales tip, may you find peace and fulfillment. I hope to be able to hear your band some day!

LKTraz, OtherLisa and Morrighan like this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Reading your post, I have to agree. I can't think of any time a jerk player has turned around and become a great bandmate. Adults don't do things as you've described.

What's "Pigtail dipping"?

6. SRVoodoo

SRVoodoo

Feb 2, 2019
    Allentown, PA.
    apparently in the days before running water, school desks used to have a reservoir of ink in it for those old style writing devices. So, if a boy really liked a girl he would do something completely stupid to gain her attention & dipping the ends of her pigtails in your ink would do just that.

7. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    OK, I see your post later. So confusing this forum stuff! :)

LKTraz, Old Blastard and Morrighan like this.
  8. [QUOTE="RodRy, post: 22962006, member: 328616
    What's "Pigtail dipping"?[/QUOTE]

It's like an immature little boy who knows nothing about girls, trying to get the attention of a girl he'a attracted too by doing stupid sh1t.

9. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Y'know,....You fancy a girl/boy at school?........You do some really strange stuff to get the attention of the love of your life?.....

10. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I learned something new today! Thanks!

11. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I always failed at that. Thankfully, my wife thinks that's a good thing!

12. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Wow, I'm impressed. Love your vocals! Good writing, good locking in the groove, good singing, good golly!

13. Some are even have a surprised face :meh: ready to see there are people who find it funny to push yer buttons until you flip your lid. And yeah, sexist. That's what a friend told me, anyway :angel:

14. Hey @RodRy , thanks! We were pretty damn good. Just not doing anything that fit neatly into a slot -- this was late 80s through the 90s. I think I'm actually a better performer now -- my voice hasn't changed all that much but I'm better about not over-singing (in part because sound systems are so much better I can hear myself better!). I'm still trying to recover some of my bass chops. But those guys -- we had so much fun and we're still really good friends to this day, just living in different cities. I've played with other people and I had some doozies of experiences before finding those guys but that was by far the longest time I've ever played with anyone and yes, I was spoiled.

I appreciate all your kind thoughts. We will do something about it. The poor guitarist -- last night the drummer left pretty much after we did our bit and the two of us hung out to watch the other acts because it's, you know, polite. And I just let loose -- SO many F-bombs! This was the first time that I've complained about the drummer where he was really agreeing with me, but I never really complained like this before. This time it was, "This gets fixed or we find someone else because life is short and I ain't doing this any more."

The last decade I've mostly done creative work for a (marginal) living. I'm a writer. I can't help it, I take stuff like this with a certain degree of pride and seriousness. There's no reason we can't be better and I want us to be better.

Okay, I feel like I've done waayyyyy more whining for the day! Let's hear some cheerful mediocre news!

RodRy, LKTraz, Bass Dao and 6 others like this.
  15. Actual inkwells in school desks predate me, but not by a lot. There were holes in the desks where inkwells were once used. What doesn't predate me is what goes on between boys and girls (in school ;) ).

16. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    It's one thing to push someone's buttons to get a reaction..... it's another whole level to do that on stage at a gig. He is a completely immature D#*K and you need to get rid of him.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread plays for enjoyment and any money is just a bonus. This guy is deliberately trying to piss you off and that's not cool.

LKTraz, Bass Dao, G Aichele and 5 others like this.
  17. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    It's like an immature little boy who knows nothing about girls, trying to get the attention of a girl he'a attracted too by doing stupid sh1t.[/QUOTE]

Hey! Stop talking about me!!!!

18. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    That whole naked interpretation of swan Lake was a total failure. Who saw that coming?

LKTraz, Fat Freddy and Morrighan like this.
  19. Purely accidental OB, was 'membering my own uth - no sisters, segregated schools, ink wells full of ink('ghan), girls were like a foreign country that you didn't understand and didn't know the rules for. That's one thing that's changed for the better in my lifetime : )

LKTraz, Bass Dao, G Aichele and 3 others like this.
  20. Upthread "dipping pigtails" discussion pretty much describes the first step on the short path to "hold my beer", I observe. In more minor cases, boys have been known to take up a hobby :roflmao: