1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Mellowinman Excellent Cover Tune Thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mellowinman, Mar 24, 2018.

1. has gone insane

25.0%
  2. can't go insane, because he's already there

75.0%
  3. has nice hair, but that breath?

25.0%
  4. drinks a lot of carrot juice

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No more horribleness to be found.

We're either making new vids that are top-quality, or re-making existing vids with improved quality.

If you can make a solid case for a vid containing horribleness, please be very specific in your descriptors.

I reserve the right to ignore any and all comments.

We'll start with this new and improved version of a Doobie Brothers classic:

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

JRA and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

JRA and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

JRA likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'll check out your videos ASAP.

But I can't vote. There's no category for me.

I need....
    "Has great hair and can't go insane cuz he's already there."

I ain't never smelt your breath so I can't speak intelligently on the subject. :D

Keep putn em out there man! I gotta pack up for playing but I'll check them out later.

6. Great hair, great sunglasses, and honestly, if you have the confidence to put your breath on the line, I’m going to assume that you’re good there. Your sanity? I have no idea.

As to horribleness…

All the chroma keying? horribleness…all of the videos. The edge artifacting is horrible. The scale fails are just horrible all the way around. You have no foreground/background matching.

Videos like these are supposed to make the viewer believe that the subject is actually performing in the video…they all fail in that regard, so horribleness…all of them. The sync misses, the overall feel...horribleness.

Your transitions, basically all of them, fail to convey continuity (i.e., as a multiple camera shoot); instead you repeatedly transition from staring at your fretboard (and why are you doing that, because you’re obviously not recording video of actual playing???) to looking at the camera. It’s jarring and horribleness, every time, every video, every transition. I can’t decide which is more horrible, a straight cut or a dissolve…anyway, they’re both horrible.

Addressed above, but really…why are you staring down at your hands in these videos!?!? It’s horribleness in the context of a cover video. Stop the horribleness!

All of the videos have a stilted and unnatural feel to them…horribleness over and over again.

Feel free to ignore any and all of my comments.

Oh, and fully disclosure, I didn’t actually watch “Love Reign O’er Me” because the poster frame scuuuurd me bad, and I just couldn’t bring myself to click it. It looks like you might be doing a minotaur thing there, and I don’t think I would have recovered from seeing that.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    So straight cuts and dissolves are horrible. What type of cut do you suggest? Also what other suggestions do you have. A lot of critique, but no answers. Please provide suggestions. I am very much open to them.

FilterFunk likes this.
  8. Suggestions…obviously these are based on my sensibilities…

As to the transitions, dissolves and straight cuts are the bread and butter of editing. My critique was not of using them instead of some other transition, it was how they were used. With continuous subject matter, here, a song being performed by one person with an unchanging background, the only thing logically changing in a transition is the camera view (i.e., the subject, time and place are not changing), so it is unnatural and jarring to go from a shot where you’re facing ahead to one where you’re looking down. One suggestion would be to shoot some takes with a lot of pans, tilts, zooms, and rack focusing to give you a palette of clips that don’t break continuity by virtue of time and position. For example, instead of transitioning from a face shot to a full shot, transition from the face shot to a tilt up from the guitar with a dissolve. That way, you’re at least transitioning between focal points (i.e., face to guitar instead of face to different zoom on the same face).

Another suggestion would be to use the principle of what’s called a J cut, where the audio of the subsequent shot leads the video transition. With a song being a single audio track, it’s not an actual J cut, just borrowing the principle. An example would be a guitar break…you’re on a singing face shot and instead of transitioning to the full non-singing shot before the guitar break starts, you would linger briefly on the face shot and allow the guitar break to start in the audio before transitioning to the video. In the reverse, when going back to singing shots, lead the video transition with the start of the singing. This is a perception exploit that works to smooth flow…the mind more naturally says to itself “Hey, I hear a guitar…oh, there it is!”

As to the all of the videos being keyed, my preference…I just don’t like it, but a specific problem here is that your keys aren’t clean (again, there’s a lot of edge artifacting going on), so my only suggestion would be to find real scenes to shoot in. Really clean keys and matched lighting is simply tough to do well DIY, so clean up your keys wouldn’t be a viable suggestion.

Overall and at various points, I’d suggest tightening things up so the obviousness of the lip syncing is less in-your-face.

Oh, and put on a damn shirt!

mellowinman likes this.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That is very helpful. Just to be clear, these were never intended to be pro-level promotional videos; more of a vanity project, but why not get them right? I am on a $0 budget and using only the most basic equipment, but I will continue to move forward, and your comments are appreciated.

10. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Hard to improve on the DB version, but you play a good cover. Your greenscreen yard is super-awesome.

As for Love reign o'er me
    you're a good pianist, but...
    -No shirts, no shoes, no service! :D
    Keep on doing your thing bro!

11. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Take the Pu guard off the Rick...& on Louie, stop keep looking intently at your fingers on the bass !
    Seriously mate, they're better videos than I could make..!:thumbsup:

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011