The Melvins

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone else dig these guys. I only have two albums, Houdini, being one... which is amazing. Easily the greatest "Grunge" album ever. It's really stoner/doomy, really good. Then they'll do really cool avantey tracks. This I dig. Out of my collection of about 300 CDs. It's among the top 10... maybe 5. Keep in mind, I've got some good stuff. :smug:

Colossus of Destiny, is the other. I'm going to give it another listen, but it is a 60 minute noise album. Not really my genre. Anyone else a fan? Recommend any more albums?
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Wish I could say I was a fan. My only experience with them was they opened for a Primus show I saw back in like 94 or 95. They actually got boo'd off the stage, which was the only time Ive ever seen a crowd really turn on a band before. I have to say I was not impressed then, but 10+ years in a long time, so perhaps they have made some changes since that time.

Perhaps its time to give them another listen...
  3. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    "Bullhead" is my favorite album by the Melvins.

Other good ones are Eggnog, Ozma, and Lysol (the one with the indian on the cover) - but I think Bullhead is miles above those. I can't really get into the new stuff that much... even though it's not all that different.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Don't let that performance spoil it for you. I don't see why they played with Primus, they are totally different. And if you are playing a show where you are not welcome... it's going to put a damper on things. That sucks they got booed. I hate that. Plus, I wonder how well King Buzzos voice carries over live... his voice on Houdini is amazing, one of my favorite vocalists in the... hmm, I'll say "metal"... genre.
  5. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Bow down to KING BUZZO or face the might of his feedback!

Bullhead is my favorite Melvins album as well :bassist:
  6. ah, the Melvins. They are definatly my favorite rock band. I've seen them live and yeah, Buzz's voice is amazing. There is very little "studio magic" on thier albums, so what you hear on the cd is really him. I'd recommend getting "Hostile Ambient Takeover", "The Maggot", and "The Bootlicker" for some of thier best recent stuff. Kevin Rutmanis is on bass on all three of those, by the way. Great, wierd dude... The last melvins show i went to, he kicked this girl's purse off the stage, and all her cell phone junk and credit cards went flying, it was great.

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    The Melvins are great. Most people overlook them but the fact is without them that whole "seattle" thing would have been different. I saw them in Portland OR in 97 and it was an amazing show. It's not really my bag as far as that style goes, but I 've got to give props where props are due.
  8. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I have almost every Melvin's cd. (Yeah, and I admit it!) :rollno: I'm more into the newer more experimental stuff than the grungier under-produced stuff but I like it too.

Here's my opinions: The best pure rock album they have is Stonerwitch. It crushes Houdini in my opinion. (Love the two headed dog on the Houdini cover by the way.)

I have Colossus of Destiny. It's interesting and I experiment with ambient sound but I can't listen to my own stuff for an hour let alone someone elses.

Honkey is the best of the experimental stuff. It is one of my most listened to discs. It's definitely a cd you should get a good buzz on to, sit back on a Friday night and listen to it a couple of times.

As far as a balance between it all, definitely Stag. Stag is a masterpiece. Bar X, The Rocking M is one of my all-time favorite songs. Best lyrics from the cd. I am paraphrasing here:

"I cut the throat of a billy goat and let it bleed. It's fun to realize the things that make me happy. Just realized, keep the dog away from me." King Buzzo at his best.

The newer ones like Bootlicker and the one Lief Garrett sang Smells Like Teen Spirit on didn't impress me as much but they were still interesting.

One more thing, if you love filthy, ugly grunge, grab Gluey Porch Treatments.
  9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    He's awesome live. I've had the pleasure of seeing them 5 times. One of my favorite bands. They absolutely rule.

I recommend all Melvins albums. But if your diggin houdini check out:
    Stoner Witch, Bullhead, & Stag. Similar era Melvins stuff. The earlier stuff was super heavy and dirty like: Ozma, Gluey Porch Treatments (2nd album used to come on a split CD w/ Ozma...very heavy doom),

Lysol is an incredible album, and the newer Hostile Ambient Takeover is excellent as well.
  10. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Funny Melvins live moment...

I went to see them a few years back when the were touring with Isis. The came out dressed in these weird clown jumpsuits. Played 4 or 5 songs, rocked it. At the end of the 5th song they all stood completely still, ringing feedback until it dwindled off. They just stood there for like 10 minutes, not moving, with blank expressions on their faces. The crowd was roaring, then it would die down, then people would cheer and clap some more, then they died down again. It was totally bizzare. Then out of nowhere they busted into the rest of they're set. It was very akward, yet very cool. I was like what band would do that?

answer: only The Melvins
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Awesome post Freddylang and 43% Dillinger. Actually, though I like their sludgey stuff on Houdini, also really dig the weird tracks. Sky Pup, and I love love love Pearl Bomb. Even though it has some people I play it for conviced the CDs is skipping. :D
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Similar King Buzzo moment: Fantomas in Clevland, him and Trevor came out after their break and played a steady chugging D for about 5 minutes. It was actually really cool, it had nice atmosphere after a while, something about Buzzo and Dunn's tone together, very nice harmonically.
  13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    if you like the sludgier Melvins definitely check out Gluey Porch Treatments, Ozma, Bullhead and Lysol.
  14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    How the hell to you get into their wesite??

I tried for a few mins then gave up. Anyways...It's been awhile since their last album. Anyone heard any news about a new album or tour or anything?
  15. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

Kevin Rutmanis is an awsome bass player. Saw him with Tomahawk and he kept doing this weird dance thing. It was funny.
  16. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    So, i was fishing around for some Melvins news when I uncovered this:

:eek: :eyebrow: :confused:
    Puzzling evidence...what do you guys think about this?

Edit: Found some more links...
  17. i saw these guys back around '98 or so when they opened for helmet. talk about a heavy show! the band sounded great and his voice sounded great. i have 'stoner witch' and 'stag' i agree with the fact that stoner witch is just a great rocking heavy record. everything sounds big, heavy and in your face. stag has some rocking stuff and some flat out moments of melvins weirdness. :bassist: i keep meaning to get more stuff by them.
  18. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've had Stoner Witch in my truck since August. Just keeps plugging away. Queen is easily my favorite song. Sad to say that's the only CD I've checked out.
    I'm going to the store to get some inspiration for songs to learn later, maybe I'll pick up some more.
  19. One of the best bands today!!!

Check out THE CRYBABY too!!! a very good cd!!! has one song with The Melvins and Tool playing together... scary!!!

for info on them check out:
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There was a quote from Dave Grohl that said, "The Melvins are the past, present and future of rock and roll."