Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Merchants of Cool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andrew Dunbar, Jan 9, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep, when it first aired last year.

It should be required viewing for everyone when they reach age 16 so they can see how they're being manipulated by the handful of giants who control almost all of the recording business and radio.

The FTC really screwed up when they decided to allow corporations to own radio networks and recording companies.

2. Well,
    Actually I'd set the age a little lower. My daughters 12 and I'm going to have her watch it. I can see that "they" are already trying to influence her life.

~Andrew

3. rickbass

Good man, Andrew, as long as you or someone else is around to explain some it to them.

Maybe then they can understand that the music that's getting shoved down their throats by manufactured cookie cutter-artists is a vehicle to sell clothing, drinks, cell phones, cars, movie tickets, videos, ad nauseaum.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

rick, did you know that the public education system is involved too?

5. Yes indeed. ALWAYS keep your eyes open, looking sharply towards the left & right.

6. rickbass

Jeff - If you're not jerking my chain, what is your understanding of that situation.........(I'm not sure I want to hear this, but let the truth be known).

Thanks.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    believe it or not, Port Saint Lucie High School is brought to you by Coca-Cola. (either that or pepsi, but i'm pretty sure it's coke).

they have several machines around the building (which looks more like a prison than some prisons) that sell powerade, water, lemonade, etc. (i believe that they aren't allowed to sell soda during school-time).

the real irony is that my school is in a budget crisis.

I also neglected to mention that on the first or second day of school, all students were given a student planner...with an ad from UPN on the cover! the whole contents are 50 percent ads...

i guess we learn more than is intended at school sometimes...

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rick, the following comments will probably get me labelled an extremist and draw some flames, too.:(

The public education system has been devoted to teaching our children to be consumers and good little subjects since the early 1900's. This started gradually in the teens and has escalated greatly over the years. Engineered by Andrew Carnegie and Henry Ford(among others), it was a movement by businessmen who manufactured products on a large scale and wanted to ensure their future by making certain that there were enough people who wanted to buy their products. Ford and Carnegie contributed huge amounts to public education and established foundations that continue to this day to be the largest contributors to the public education machine, as well as lobbying congressmen and senators to develop a national, government influenced and controlled educational system, and to make it difficult for children to be educated outside of this system. The Carnegie Foundation and the Ford Foundation helped to engineer the curricula and teaching methods that the public education system uses today, and they still have more influence on educationial policies than any other group or organization, almost 100 years after they started meddling with public education.

There is much more, this is just a very brief synopsis.

9. Or, if you want to be more basic.....

Get up, eat, dress get to school at 8am (or 9am). Work until your 15min break. Work a little more and take lunch. Then work until your next 15min break, then work and go home.

You will do this monday through friday. You will get a vacation once in a while.

I once saw a documentary on P.B.S. about modern education. At one point, they superimposed a factory floor over a class room, with each station of the factory linning up directly over each desk space. It was meant to be factual and informative, without bias. I found it disturbing.

All I ask is that you think about it.

10. My school is sponsered by nike and coca-cola.

But that's nothing compared to the fact that china is one of the biggest human rights violators and yet, somehow they are one of the five powers of the UN.

11. You are all being watched :D

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    actually, i kinda find more disturbing that our schools are in such conditions that they decide to take corporate sponsorships than that they are sponsored by large corporations.

but to find that disturbing, you would have to ignore what the embellisher has said...