Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The Metal Bass"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Apr 26, 2005.

1. What would you guys consider "The Metal Bass"
    i'm thinking of some kind of warwick?

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  3. pretty sweet man, do you know what kind of pick up that is? it cant be a standard p pick-up

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    They're SD quarter pounders.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I would actually say a Jbass is the Metal Bass.

6. What...? No. Definitely not a Fender. I'd vote for Spector or Warwick.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spector and Stingrays. More metal than you can shake a stick at.

Oh, wait, guess what I own...

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Spector w/ EMGs, Modulus w/EMGs, P bass with EMGs ... see a pattern ;) Heavy strings, heavy pick, heavy amp and you're set.

Really, most anything will work for metal once you dial the tone in, you're not looking for expensive sounding mids, you just want lots of bass and some top end grind to cut through the guitars. Thats easy to EQ in. Jason Newstead has used Alembics and Sadowskys ... not normally what you'd think of for metal.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    EMGs would sound good for metal stapled to a 2x4. Which, I surmise, is how ESP stays in buisness.

10. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    GITTLER!

[​IMG]

he only ever made three basses, but they are ALL METAL...

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    LOL! and +1.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Might also have something to do with the fact that they make very solid basses and don't charge anywhere near botque prices for them. I've yet to see a bass under $2000 that would do metal better than my ESP.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Under $2000? Uh...hardly.

Under $500? Maybe.

14. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    personally I think any decent bass with a J/P configuration will do. then dial in what you want.

15. American P Bass Deluxe. Rediculous amounts of punch. And you don't need to use a pick. Some guys do but its not necessary, Steve Harris from Iron Maiden doesnt use one, or doesnt all the time, and on the other side of the spectrum the guy from Cannibal Corpse doesn't use one either.

16. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I definitely agree with that... My Warwick Thumb 4 NT, my Vampyre LTD 4 and my Rockbass Fortress 4 do metal very well...

What's your budget?

17. ibanez has prettymuch catered themselves to artists that play metal, i personally like the lower end models of the basses. that one bass (i think gx190) with the sg body and humbucker looks pretty hardcore

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Those look...comfy.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Other than the Gene Simmons basses, none of the others are "metal". Fancy woodgrain basses have no place in metal! ;)

Classic metal style is unquestionably the BC Rich Warlock. I can't stand them though and I'm a BC fan!

Today? The most metal bass has to be the ESP F-series, IMO. I would like to have one. :D