Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Metallica/Godsmack Show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass element, Nov 10, 2004.

1. i saw metallica and godsmack play in jacksonville, Florida on monday and i have to say it was one of the best shows i've ever seen. godsmack's opening preformance was awesome and i really enjoyed the drum duel that the drummer and singer pulledoff towards the end of the show. they are more talented than i thought and amazing to se live.

Metallica, of course, was amazing and put on a great show.i really enjoy how they bring the audience into the show and interact with the fans. they did a great line up of songs, and i was surprised that they only did the song st. anger from their new cd. i guess they are getting the hint that not too many people liked it, but i think it was a decent album. anyways, most of their song lineup was from the self titled Black album and And justice for all... they are definately a must see and are amazing musicians.

2. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I saw Metallica in Omaha, and the show rocked. They played only 2 songs form St. Anger. Most of the show was from Justice and the Black album. I was also surprised by how good Godsmack was, considering that I wasn't looking forward to seeing them.

3. The Metallica concert tickets were so ludicrously overpriced that I didn't bother going this time around, they've been great when I've seen them in the past though.

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Never seen Metallica but I am going to for the first time at the end of this month. Sounds like it will be a good show.

Is it true that they play insanely loud compared to other bands?

5. Not in my experience... of course I had my earplugs in so it's possible I just didn't notice.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Gonna catch them here on the 17th. I'm really going to see Godsmack again....amazing live show.
    I haven't seen Metallica in years and glad they're playing more old school stuff...I'm also very eager to see how Robert fits in the mix.
    I got great tickets for 75 bucks a pop..def cheaper than I expected.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Did you see my "our night with Metallica" thread. My kid is still on cloud nine, 2 weeks later. He's pushing real hard now for guitar lessons too. Guitar ?! Sheesh, some kids :p

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Both bands were great when I saw them in Fargo. They only played a couple from St. Anger there, too.

And Robert did a pretty cool bass solo too. ;)

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Saw 'em in Toronto, they were awesome! All old stuff, they even opened with 'Blackened' (one of my favourite songs). They really get the crowd involved, and yes, they are insanley loud. My ears were ringing for about a week! ;)

~Graeme \m/

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Caught em' last night here in Dallas. Godsmack opened.....awesome job. Those guys are/were the main reason I went to the show and they didn't dissapoint. I could go on and on about them but I won't....

Metallica opened with Blackened and aside from the opening drum fill for this tune being sampled (Ulrich wasn't even sitting at his kit when I heard it) he played everything drum-wise for the remainder of the show. The house mix sounded really muddy to me for the first 3-4 tunes compared to Godsmack's mix but whatever the problem was..either they house guys got it worked out, or my ears adjusted to it.
    Metallica played for around 2 hours 15 minutes and I must say Hetfield was very calm and sincere to the crowd expressing his thanks and appreciation for supporting the band through the years...it was actually nice to hear him talk and not yell/curse every word. The band put on a wonderful show (playing only one song from St. Anger...thank God) and Robert really seemed to fit with them. He was all over the place....how he can play so many different things with his bass slung that low I'll never figure out but his solo was really neat...did quite a few little things that came straight from the Infectious Grooves days.

The entire band was very crowd oriented and really seemed to be genuinely happy being there. The end of the show was marked with the band throwing pies and whipped creme on Kirk as it was his birthday....although I have seen better shows...Metallica surely put on a great one and I am glad I was able to see it. I do recommend this show for anyone who has a rock/metal bone in their body.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I saw Metallica 2 night in NY in April and they are at the top of their game right now, i cant wait to see what they do on the next record.