1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Meters - essential songs / albums?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Hey everyone,

I've heard a lot *about* The Meters, but haven't actually heard much of their music. Where should I start?

2. tonejunkie

tonejunkie

Dec 11, 2006
    Cape Coral, FL
    Sorry I can't help but I'm interested too.

*subscribed*

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    If you want a collection, I'd recommend the 2 disc anthology "Funkify Your Life".

If you just want to start with a single album, my favorite is "Struttin'"

Their first eponymous album was re-issued not too long ago and is fantastic too.

My personal preference is for their earliest stuff. Not to say that an album like "Fire on the Bayou" isn't good. It just isn't my favorite.

4. Fineblend

Fineblend

Apr 8, 2007
    Well start with their first album, it's self titled.

Now I've listened to all their stuff, fire on the bayou, chicken strut, cabbage alley I believe is the name of another but to really get a soak of their style and understand the basic seeds of early funk get the first record, it has meters and meter sticks all over it so you can't miss it. Every song is a gem and the album played from beginning to end is so rewarding.

Their music is so rhythmically complex that it's so at ease with itself just being a backing track for your mind and body. The listener can pretty much focus solely on the rhythm section and be satisfied, like the track "Ease Back" and the bass driven "Cardova", here you will find out what the term "second line drumming" was all about, Zigaboo had to and still remains the best drummer of the style.

Later on in their career they got a singer, probably from the Stax era of RB and soul singers, not their greatest stride but you will be fine with their earliest stuff as well as any compilation you can find.

But as a recommendation, get the first one and use that as your reference point.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    The Anthology is the best one to go to... it's got all of what the Meters have been.

I like "Rejuvenation" as a single studio disc.

George Porter Jr records and shares Meters shows (as do others)... live is where it's at!

The singer they brought in was Art Neville's kin Cyril Neville.

I hate to keep bringing them up... but If you are finding New Orleans Funk, check Art & Aaron Neville's kids band http://www.dumpstaphunk.com/

Nicky Daniels AND Tony Hall on Basses

6. Cool ... thanks for the informed replies!

7. MWBass

MWBass

Jun 19, 2005
    Belford, NJ
    My two cents...

Look-A-Py-Py, or something like that. The song is on a few albums, but the album entitled that was my first experience with the Meters. There is a song "9 Til 5" which I heard first when I was 14, and I was hooked. Still my favorite Meters tune to date, and one of my favorite grooves of all time...

good stuff...

Hard CD to find though...

8. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    If I'm recalling correctly, the Meters got their start as producer Allen Toussaint's house band. My favorite early Meters tracks include Hey Pocky Way and Cissy Strut, but it's all great. I like the later album "New Directions" too. And once you get started with the Neville clan, you'll want to check out The Wild Tchoupitoulas and the Neville Brothers.

Enjoy!

Chas

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

"Look-Ka Py Py"... ya, that is my second favorite studio release

"9 'til 5", "Yeah, You're Right", "Rigor Mortis", "Pungee".... the whole disc is smokin!

10. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The Meters is absolutely essential listening to anyone looking to get their groove in order, especially the first album. The anthology is great, as well, but that first album is amazing, especially when you consider the time period in which it was recorded. As relevent today as it was back when it was first recorded.

I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to expand their chord comping and soloing skills. That entire first album is an excellent platform to play along with ... it's so pure in its groove that you can comp and solo right over the top of it, just as if they were your backing band :D

Excellent stuff .... :cool:

11. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    They have som many good ones, but "Cissy Strut", "Hey Pocky Way", and "Here Comes The Meterman" are my favorite Meters tunes.

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    If you are looking for individual tracks, here are some that I really dig:

Ease Back
    Hand Clapping Song
    Look-Ka Py Py
    Here Comes the Meter Man
    Tippi-Toes
    Ride Your Pony
    Funky Miracle
    People Say
    Trick Bag
    and my favorite - Cissy Strut

13. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    yea- Cissy Strut & Look-a-Py Py

My fav's

14. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    Funny....those are the two songs my band does.....

15. I've only got Uptown Rulers! Live on the Queen Mary which was a live concert sponsored by Paul McCartney.

It's awesome but some of the jams cut out and the mixing could be better----i've heard amateur tapers tap better than this.

Cissy Strut is the[/I] best song...I was first exposed to it in a massive (6 - 10 people) jam in january and have loved the meters ever since.

16. Funny you should say that, I just saw the Neville Brothers open for Ziggy Marley, and they were f'ing GREAT. Marley was good, but the Nevilles totally stole the show. The very definition of "groove", IMHO. I wasn't familiar with them before, but you can call me a fan now.

17. My favorite meters tune is Cissy Strut.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those are the two Meters songs most bands do ;)

19. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    cabbage alley baby

20. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    All the stuff mentioned already is obviously great, I've always liked the slow jam "Be My Lady". About as funky as a ballad could ever be and the bass work is, of course, amazing as always.