The Meters - GPJr Tone - Tape Saturation?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BaileyMan, Jul 29, 2021.

1. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I'm just sitting here doing some work and listening to / getting distracted by "The Meters", their self-titled album. George Porter's tone has a nice little bit of overdriven edge to it. I dig it a lot. Does anyone know if that overdrive is from tape saturation, tube saturation, or something else? I'm going to avoid asking the question, of how one would emulate it.

Check out the tune Cardova for a good example

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

By the historical photographic record of the time period, it would appear that live, he used a single coil pickup Telecaster bass into a solid state Kustom rig with a 2x15” cab, CTS or JBL’s, I couldn’t tell you, but I think it’s a perfect storm of the gear instead of tape(you can hear the compressors working overtime on the drums, so I don’t think it’s the recording process…the guitar is clear and clanky). But he’s been seen with a P, and later with a J. That he would use Kustoms in the 70’s seems quite typical, I’ve also seen Sunn in his backline, but in the studio, it’s anyone’s guess.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Yeah. I'm sure you're right about it being anyone's guess about the studio set up. I don't really know what tape saturation sounds like other than it has a compressed, overdriven sound. What I've read is that it's got more odd order harmonics whereas tube saturation has more even order harmonics. Not sure if that's true and I certainly wouldn't know by ear which was which. Like you said, no doubt that it's a perfect storm of everything together...

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021