Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Meters

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by count_funkula, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Does anyone know how the bass line to "Funkify Your Life" is being played? I'm not asking for tab, I just can't tell if those muted notes are being slapped with his thumb or what.

Just curious.

2. I am not 100% sure but I think George Porter, Jr. was a finger player. I.e. no slap. You should also pink up Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally through the alley. Great bass work by George.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I think he's playing the line mostly fingerstyle with a couple of snapped pull-offs at the end of the phrase. Also using an envelope filter of some type at the intro. This is a GREAT tune and deceptively simple...one of my bands tried to do it and couldn't get the vibe down, even though everyone was playing the parts correctly.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...ahhhh; so one must do more than merely play a part 'note-for-note'? ;)
    How many times have you heard a band(local/national/whatever)re-tool themselves with 'superior' players, attempt their old stuff & yet...I dunno, the music didn't exactly happen?! ;)

Porter's a bad man...

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yeah, and the fact that we were little white yuppie boys didn't exactly work in our favor! Nobody could generate that kind of FONK... :D

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mac-
    Same problem here; though, on occasion, I have heard "...for a white guy, Keller's pretty funky". ;)
    That & "...Keller's got a decent Pop(music)style".

Ya gotta laugh, right? :D

Anyway-
    I hadda re-visit that particular Meters' tune.
    Hmmmm...it does sound slapped.
    It does sound like a Mu-Tron enveloper(Funk box).
    I have a '70s Mu-Tron(given to me by an URBassist)AND ya better be plucking HARD for that thing to work "properly". So, maybe it's Porter's plucking technique(ie, not slapped?). ;)

Goofing around with groove(albeit briefly...& a nasty groove it is!), I would make sure to play it with a lotta 'ghosted'/muted notes + some open string(open "A")MUTED THUMPING(hard plucking while fretting hand mutes). In other words, don't play it too cleanly...ya want the dirt & grime! ;)

Maybe what I'm talking about is that Jaco-esque 1/16th ghosted attack...?

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    George does play fingerstyle, if you will, but with his thumb, not his first two fingers.

8. Thats right I forgot about that, I am remembering a video I saw as yes that is the way he was playing.
    Kind of like the way Tina Weymouth plays.

mchildreeI think you are talking about what is called Cracker Fonk. :D

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Very interesting way to play. The guy is furious, I once saw him break his E string once while playing. Cool part was, he restringed, tuned, and came back in before the end of the song.

10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually I just was the Meters, and he plays with thumb sometimes, 1st/2nd finger sometimes, and yes, he actually popped a few notes too. I am not super familiar with the Meters but was blown away. Dunno if they played the song you are talking about...