the microSD in your phone can make a difference

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Oct 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Not long ago I was lamenting about my extremely slow phone.
    I've since upgraded, but Feces Book was still deadly slow on my phone.

I keep my eye on the Daily/Weekly Deals, MF's stupid deal, GC's weekly, & Best Buy's daily deal.
    Best Buy had a pretty decent deal on 64Gb microSD cards, and I thought it would be a good way to start toting my own music around for in the car or even to play along to in the park.

Yeah, I'm a regular Bohemian now that I have an acoustic guitar.

When I first put my old 8Gb card in the new phone it told me that chip was slow, and it wasn't kidding.
    As soon as I changed to the faster 64Gb chip, I re-downloaded all my applications & FB is now working great, like it should.

So, I might have even avoided upgrading my phone earlier if I had just gotten a faster microSD card for it. DOH!

Upside: I can now stream video & audio to my TV from my phone & I'm doing it right now.
    My old phone couldn't do that, neither wirelessly nor wired. The MHL cable I bought wouldn't fit in the slot.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    PortlandBass77 likes this.
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Enjoy your microSD card slot while you can. They're unfortunately being phased out by manufacturers. :atoz:

Munjibunga likes this.
  3. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Probably due to the cloud. Many of my clients want to do as much as they can on the Cloud and have less on-site servers.

Mvilmany likes this.
  4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'm not a fan of the cloud. It costs data to connect to it and I've been rendered musicless when out of network range. I've addressed that by getting my current pocket computer in 128GB. :bassist:

pcake and Clark Dark like this.
  5. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I agree. I do like it from a backup perspective which I do using WIFI which doesn't touch my data plan. But from a customer point of view, yeah they can buy an Exchange server, plus a static IP, plus backup, plus licensing, plus SSL or just pay an Exchange hosting company to host the email for $15 a month per email. It's all relative to ones focus and goal.

elgecko likes this.
  6. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    FB has two official android apps, regular FB and FB lite. FB lite not only has integrated chat, but is also much faster, smaller, stabile and has less data transfer.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    So when I lose signal, I lose my music too? SD cards over clouds anyday.

8. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Yes, everything is going to the cloud. People are concerned with losing connections, but they're getting more and more consistent every day.

9. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I don't have confidence in that considering how long we had cellular phones and we still have a ton of dead zones. I know the reason for it but the point is it's been quite some time and we still have a lot of dead zones.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How could an SD card slow down the phone? Unless it's a shoddy card and it's slow when you're accessing its content....

11. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I've perceived fewer dead spots over the years. I travel frequently to rural environments, and I've noticed less and less dead spots as I travel. Also, if you do need offline access to some content, many cloud services have options to allow specific media and documents to have local copies on your device. 90% of all information I access on any of my computers is on clouds at this point.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Agreed. it may not be an issue in the flat lands of Nebraska but as soon as any type of topography gets involved, solid connections go out the window. Also, some people choose to leave civilization, where it's easy to get of cell tower range but still like enjoy music on their phones.

13. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    That is a very small portion to a bigger issue. Dead spots still do and continue to exist and there are a lot of them some in small towns to small cities. A big part of that is people fighting cellular towers. Me personally, I could care less. Being in IT for 20-plus years I am burned out and I prefer the days of the pen and paper even though technology has given me a career. I play my Sudoku at home on pen and paper. All my guitars are acoustic. The bass is the only thing electric and have considered changing that to acoustic.

As far as Cloud services offering cache utilities, for some that is true. For instance if you pay for Spotify you can pre-download all the music you like. But that requires preparation which I see today, a lot of people just do not do.

14. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    SD cards do vary in speed. For photographers they go with the most expensive for they are designed to transfer data at very high speeds. I find the same to be true with flash drives. I have solid state flash drives that copy/paste data at turtle pace but plug int one of my external mobile HDD's which are NOT solid-state and have moving parts, data transfer a lot faster.

Then taking this a step further the bus plays a big part. In terms of computers USB at the fastest on 3.0 which is still not that common..yet. With SD I am not familiar with their bus speeds and if they vary but I know it does play a part for you are only as fast as your slowest link.

15. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    I doubt smartphone expandable memory is going away real soon. There was major backlash when samsung removed the card slot from the s6 and added it back on the s7. The majority of high end android phones have expandable storage. When the micro sd is phased out it will be replaced by ufs cards which are 5 times faster.

Samsung unveils successor to MicroSD

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  16. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    But on the flip side to the best of my knowledge Apple never allowed SD on their phones and don't see them ever doing so in the future and they are VERY popular!

17. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Apple surely never will let anyone out of there little walled garden. As of 2nd quarter 2016 android has 87.6% of market share worldwide, iPhone is 11.7%, not even close.

IDC: Smartphone OS Market Share

18. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Get out of here...really? Every where I turn it's IPhone IPhone IPhone. Note I am in IT so adding/removing email accounts on phones is almost a daily occurrence. Don't get me wrong I deal with my fair share of Droids but with what I encounter I believed it was IPhone that was preferred.

I once heard a Verizon rep described the 2 like this (note I agreed at the time): if you want a toy get an IPhone if you want something more get a Droid.

Now after owning both for quite a bit of time I put it like this: If you want something that will last for many years and possibly work like the day you got it, then go IPhone. If you want something that you will want to replace and/or upgrade in a year or two, then get a Droid.

19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I also find those numbers surprising! In the US, it's more like 40%.

About Apple's 40% Smartphone Market Share

Samsung, apparently the largest manufacturer of smartphones, did away with SD slots then brought them back but they're having a whole different problem right now.

20. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Yeah, U.S. only is surely a higher percentage, but keep in mind we are the richest country in the world. Worldwide is a different story. If they marketed their exploding phones right it'd be a big hit with terrorists ;)

sissy kathy and elgecko like this.