1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

the middle knob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, May 5, 2006.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    haha I think this the right place so here goes...

I have a MIM Jazz bass, and it has three knobs. One (The first one) is overall volume, and one is like a treble boost (the small one), but I can't figure out what the other one does. It doesn't seem to add or take away anything from the sound, and it really serves to purpose to me.

Was I supposed to wire something? Are the electronics messed up?

any answers would be greatly appreciated :)

Joe

2. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    The first two are volumes for each pickup (1st volume knob is for the neck pickup and the 2nd volume knob is for the bridge pickup) The last knob (The smaller one) is Tone.

3. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    hi,

on mine:
    first one : neck pick up volume
    middle one: bridge pickuup volume
    third one: tone control

hope it helps

J

4. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Whoa, I have this same problem with my MIM Jazz! the first knob (neck pup) doesn't work. I took it into the store i bought it because the knob actually fell off, and I told them to fix the fact it wasnt working. Well, they put the knob back on but it still isn't working. Does anyone know what the problem is, and how I can solve it? is there any risk in taking the control plate off and looking? Is it the knob, pot, wire or pickup that's causing the problem..?

5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
  6. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    go ahead take off the plate, it's no poblem but be carefull when you take off all the screws and are ready for the plate, take it slowly because you could tear down the wires from the pots.

and then use the schematics (previous post) to check connectivity

7. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Okay, thanks. I'm using a little screwdriver set, and i got one scew off but the other two are on really frigging tight.

Should I post a pic when I get this open? If a problem isn't entirely obvious. What do the yellow and black pickup wires do?

8. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    according to the schematic, the black one is the ground (soldered to the metal bottom plate of the pot ).
    all black wires sould be common and there are through the plate.

the yellow one carries the signal from the pickup

9. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    I see. I'm going to go find a better screwdriver and try to get these scres off. Thanks a lot!

10. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Ugh. everything appears to be fine, except 3 wires leave the bridge knob: a black one that seems to be soldered somewhere to the left of the control plate, and the two wires (black ground and white signal) that go to the pickup.

Here's pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    seems dificult to help you at distance.
    i don't see the third weird wire you're talking about on the picture. try other pictures if you can.

another thing you can do is o turn ALL the pots to max (clockwise) and then make one of the string touch one of the pickup and then try to determine if some wiring modofocation have been done 'if you bought used)

i have no really other idea at the moment.
    but at some point you'll need to unsoldeer and measure impedance or bring it back to a good tech

12. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    It was bought new, it's 2005 if I check the serial number.

Look at the second picture, that's the Neck pup's pot, the diagram shows that it should only have a ground and main (white) wire leaving it. You can see the two black wires soldered to the pot.

Anyway, I'll probably take this thing back to the store (Long & Mcquade in Toronto) and tell them to actually fix and setup the damn thing, not just replace the knob then let it sit for two weeks.

Next time I'm just going to save a few more months and get a MIA.

13. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    where does the third wire go?
    to the pickup?
    have you removed the pickguard?
    is this the only thing strange wih the wiring?

14. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    the third wire appears to be soldered somewhere to the body. I haven't removed the pickguard, I dont want to have to remove the strings.

15. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    on a jazz you don't have to remove the string to take out the pickguard. usually it goes fine between strings and pups.

16. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I believe that all black wires are ground, so it doesn't matter how many black wires there are on a pot, they all go to the same place.

17. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    So whats going on with my bass, why doesn't the neck pup work?

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    have the wires come disconnected from the actual pickup?

19. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    Mine:
    1 = Neck PUP
    2 = Bridge PUP
    3 = Treble / Prescence

20. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON