Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The Mighty Boosh" - Slap Bass and Jazz Funk!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So, I don't know if any of our UK TBers have heard of this or seen the latest episode.

It's a new comedy TV series on BBC3 - set in a zoo, but each week has been getting more and more bizarre!! And funnier.

There are two main characters - one of whom is a Gary Numan fan and the other a Jazz, Jazz Funk fan!!

So - the first week or so wasn't that funny - but they seem to be adding in more and more musical references - and I don't know whether it's just me - but this is making it funnier and kind of unique.

So last week they had a hilarious "electro band" and this week's theme was :

Jazz Funk and Slap Bass

So the two zookeepers did some Jazz funk and as soon as Howard started playing slap bass, the Russian Bear went mad and broke out of his cage.

Cue - mad journey to the woods, where they meet a jungle Brian Ferry and after some bizarre voodoo stuff mixed with cockney slasher rap (!!) they meet a guy with a huge green thumb (sort of king of the hitchers)!

So - whe this green guy tells them he's going to kill them - he asks if they have any last requests and Howard says he wanted to go out listening to some slap bass.

Wherupon the guy with the huge green thumb explains how he was champion thumb bass player - how he had beaten Mark King in a challenge etc.

Anyway - he proceeds to lay down some slap bass and is set upon by the bear!!

I'm not making this up - it was on BBC3 TV last night!!! :eek: :eek:

:D

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I saw the episode where they go to the north pole.Hilarious

3. I LOVE THAT SHOW!!!!!! The one on the spirit of jazz two weeks ago was also amazingly funny - nice one Brucie! It's the best jazz (funk) piss trake ever - very, very funny - don't miss the repeat...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - it was great where the Polar Bear was sitting there singing the riff and lyrics to "Are Friends Electric" by Tubeway Army - Gary Numan!! ;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - why didn't you tell me my hat was on fire - that was a new hat!! :D

6. I loved the Fast Show years ago (like everyone else) but The Mighty Boosh is better - making the observation that us muso nerds hate the most - that jazz and especially 'jazz funk', can in fact be very nerdy, naff sounding music - Howard saying "Ooooo, can you feel the power of that slap bass" is just completely jarring against the obvious cool of hip 1980s pop music - Vince is just brilliant - and unfortunately as a long time slapper of the bass - I have had to endure similar conversations - I really love the show - it has its moments where it goes a little flat, but the banter between Howard and Vince - "You're greedy for verse, I think you've had all the word norishment you need" etc is just excellent - put me down as a big fan - there needs to be more slap bass and jazz jokes on telly!

7. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Who sang that song on the clip. Where the manager is playing that song. he then stops it and says "And thats why i don't like cricket." Can anyone shed any light on this song

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its great. Vince Noir is my god.

9. 10cc - dreadlock holiday.

hopefully this episode will be repeated- it sounds up there with the Alan Partridge airbassing to Music for chameleons clip :D

BBC3's come up with some good stuff- eg. Monkey Dust.
    didn't think much of Little Britain though.

10. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks mate. And finally, some one else who watches Monkey Dust. I want it on DVD!!! :D . Tell mr Mr. MTR, do you like to watch Darkplace on channel4?

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i haven't got special channels such as BBC3 :(

but i used to listen to it on radio 4 :cool:

DARKPLACE!!!! *sings* darkplace darkplace.
    oh man that show better come back.

12. re. Darkplace, I like the Garth Marenghi character, but I got tired of the exaggerated bad acting, bad puppetry, bad props and general exaggerated incompetence after about 10 mins- the joke wore thin.

some other programmes I like to add to the discussion-
    Peepshow
    The Day Today (bought the DVD - the spoof reality TV bits more relevent than ever)
    Dead Ringers
    The Adam & Joe show
    Fist of Fun/TMWRNJ
    Harry Hill's TV Burp (IMHO the funniest show on UK TV in ages- the sketch about Emmerdale actors dropping their papers/knocking a pan off the stove had me in tears)

another BBC3 show- Nighty night- what did everyone make of this?
    great cast and performances, but i found the nastiness of the central Jill character repulsive, and surreal.

13. ps. watched the repeat of the 'Boosh slap bass episode-
    the green thumbed hitcher reminded me of the "hardest game in the world" Archie character in the Fast Show:D

14. Bruce Lindfield

That was actually the worst bit IMO - it nearly put me off when it was repeated so often as a trailer and I found the first episode 'so-so' - but they have been getting better with each show - more musical references, more surreal Vince stories....:)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Trapped In A Box -

Trapped in a box by a cockney nutjob
    Have a cup of tea...have a cup of tea
    I’m the hitcher
    Let me put you in the picture
    Creeping in your room in the dead of night
    With me solo polo vision

I’m a cockney geezer...alright speed, bleed ya
    I’ll do the ripper, when he watches you nip her
    I taught him how to slice
    I cut him up a treat

Pound your banana (two pound your pear)
    Cor me shivers with your melons...oh yeah

Coming in strong like a freakshow nightmare
    Dancing skeletons - white, blue and yella ‘uns
    Moving through the shadows with the speed of a cat
    And if you cross us we’ll cut ya
    And you ain’t gonna like that...

I’m bad juju
    I use voodoo if I choose to
    I harness the forces of evil to abuse you
    With power, a bellow, an evil magnet
    Sucking up your soul
    And you ain’t gonna like that.

Is it Written?

Is it written that a man should die for a dream?
    Is it written that a man should die for nothing?
    Is it dead… is it written… that a man must dieeeeeeeee

16. Bruce Lindfield

I just realised from the various websites, that that was the last episode of the series!! :eek:

:( :(

IF Vince and Howard are going on to do some kind of Boosh at the Perrier Comedy as part of the Edinburgh Festival, tickets will probably be hard to come by...?

17. Don't worry dude - not only ios it repeated again sometime next week - but most of these BBC3 shows, especially if they have recieved this kind of reception and fan base, will be repeated in full on BBC2 - so role on the repeats. I agree though that the series has definitely improved and that the last three episodes (with many musicial references in) have actually been the best - I can't tell you the amount of times when I was just discovery jazz and funk in my teens, I got dissed for not just liking bands like The Cure and loads of electro pop - which I do actually like a lot - <b>but Weather Report just seemed to kick more ass than A-Ha!</b>

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I was hoping for more bass and Jazz jokes - but it looks like I'll have to wait for Arctic Boosh or whatever the next series (fingers crossed) is called - how do you get tickets for the Edinburgh Festival...? ;)

19. the trailer put me off watching the programme as the manager character seemed just like another Vic & Bob Catterick creation- actually I thought it was Vic Reeves at first.

BTW who's the actor who played the green-thumbed hitcher?
    very funny performance-
    "ahm over 'ere, you onion!"

20. Bruce Lindfield

That was Vince - or rather Noel - and Naboo is his younger brother!

The person who played Fossil was a Canadian stand-up comedian that "Vince and Howard" met when they were doing the Mighty Boosh at the Edinburgh Festival - he lives in Canada, but came back, especially to do the TV shows!! ;)