Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The mighty Custom Bag End 1x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 20, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    No secret I'm partial. Just a heads up to anyone interested. For a long time BE has made 1x10 cabs on a custom order basis. When my local shop (Milford Music) started ordering them about 10 years ago they came in the boxes for the 1x12 cabinet. All of a sudden they started shipping them in these tiny little boxes about 13x13x10 (dont quote on the exact dimensions, I'm approximating). Just recently the owner of Milford Music (Mike Nunno) scored a pair of used birch 1x10s with the same exact tiny dimensions. They must be 20 years old. They have to be heard to be believed. To be fair I haven't put them up against an epi 1x10 or any of the other similar boxes out there, but i belive they can hold their own. They're definitly smaller than the epi 1x10s, and can't weigh much more than an epi UL. A pair of them seem to sound even better than one of the older BE D10-D cabs. Much smoother sounding than my BE 1x12, with surprising low end. I think I want four. :D The only real bummer is that they go for about 400 clams retail due to being special order, (the 1x12 is around $340, the 1x15 is about $400). The only specs i could tell you offhand is that they would be 8 ohms and rated at 200 watts. If you ever see one, give it a spin. ;)

2. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Get 8 of them! You could arrange them in some sort of cool design, like I did my cinder block stereo center back when I was poor...wait...I'm still poor, I just buy nicer gear. You could sandwich them between two circular pieces of wood, say 5' diameter, have it rotate slowly as you play...sort of a mini "in the round" like Yes used to do with their stage.

Sorry, I'm just bored at work...again.

So what are the dimensions of the single 10 they put in the 12 box? Top for an Ag GS112 maybe?

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like i said, they seem to be about 13x13x10 or so, but that's just an off guess. It could be closer to 14x14x12. They're definitly about as loud as an aggie 112, just based on the fact that one was about as loud as my BE 1x12, and my BE is louder than an aggie 112.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    COOL... I want me one of themz.

Do you know the model name so I can begin my canvasing of the used market?

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    If i had to guess i would say S10. S10-C, (black carpet), S10-D, (Deep Red carpet), S10-B, (birch).
    Good Luck. ;)

6. Through the years, I have periodically bought Bag End...then the latest flavor hit the market, and BAM! - the BE's where replaced. But, I always felt something missing and at this point, I have to say...I think BE makes the finest cabinets on the market, aside from going Clair Bros. or Meyer. And on a fairly regular basis I get the opportunity to use something along those lines from the sound companies employed, so I really don't want to sink $10k+ into my personal rig. So now I'm going back to Bag End and decided on a D10BX-B (2-10 coax in Birch and a custom S15B-B w/ a coax 15, in Birch). Their boxes are very conservatively rated and very musical in overall tone; the coax's are very subtle in high-end response. So I'm sold (again).

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good for you BB - keep the cult alive. :p

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    man i love love love the D10BX-D cabs i've tried, but they were so heavy. i dont like the weight of my xst, and they were even heavier. darn!

but man if i could just see a couple of these bad boys in person to try.....

9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

So what are you going to do with your LDS cabs?

10. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Did you know they have a secret 1x10 ELF cab as well? You could amaze everybody with a 2x10 stack that goes down to 15 Hz...

Operators are standing by, ready to take your orders...

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Huh?? (taking notice suddenly)
    Umm what was that again??
    Please tell more.

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah the 1x10 elf was no secret. For those of yuo who don't know, the elf or infra system uses a special processor which is pretty expensive as a fancy crossover, the elf speakers are designed to be used in conjunction with it and essentially produce very controlled bass down to 18 hz or so. An expensive and esoteric system. I've always been intrigued, but to be honest, i'm happy with their standard cabinets. Now we could talk about their TA pa cabinets and monitors which KILL for bass tone too, but that's another story.................. :p

13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i measure the birch cab today so if anyone's still interested here are the dimensions.
    height and width are 13 and 3/4"
    depth (front to back) is 11 and 1/2"
    the cab is made from 3/4" birch ply
    told ya it was tiny.

14. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    What is the weight of these cabs? Is there any serious bass coming from them? Can you compare the sound to other cabs you've used?

15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Yep, I indeed have the tiny 2x10 version of the stack you propose. It has one ELF (INFRA) 10 and one coax 10 in a tiny but still heavy cab that measures about 13x13x22. It was a limited, custom order only cab. BE said they made 20 or so over the years. I can try and arrange pics if someone is really curious. I have been playing around with it for a while, trying to get the right balance between each ten, as the ELF 10 isn't very efficient at all. I've been thinking of getting either another single ELF 10 or the ELF 2x10 to go with it as they have the same footprint and would stack. Then again, I could just get the S18E to go under my Q10B. Decisions decisions...

I did see an S10 used on bassgear.com once. I almost bought it.

***wait, there's a cult? I think I qualify. Why have I not been contacted?? ;)

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    weight is almost negligible. the low end from two of them is pretty impressive, but it's not a 1x18. I have yet to compare them to my D10B-D, but that's coming soon. I'll keep you posted. I would say that they sound much more "natural" than my old eden 210xlt.

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i finally got around to A/B ing my BE D10B-D to the two little birch Bag end S10's. Turns out they sound mighty similar, with some more low end going to the 210, but overall the two small 1x10's sound better! Tighter, more focused, blah blah blah. Not that the D10B sounds bad, it sounds great. But having it get beat by two cabinets that dont even come close to the weight realy sucked. The good news is, even though it hasn't shown up on the website, my dealer tells em that they are offering the S10-D as a regular cabinet now, so the price should drop. :)

18. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    IvanMikle,

You have a PM.

Thanks,
    Ted

19. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks Ivanmike
    Please post any news you ger about this cab. I've been on the lookout for something to replace my GK microbass combo without sacrificing portablity in any way and this paired with an AI clarus just might be it.

20. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    IvanMike:

You wouldn't happen to have the sensativity spec for the BE 1x10 would you? It would help me decide how many ELF 10s to ad to my 2x10. This would be a strange rig...