The Mighty RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LAW, Sep 13, 2005.

1. LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    I'm sure people here play rics. I am looking into purchasing one and am wondering what people think of the different models. Which would you say has the nicest tone or the best playability. I know this is vague, I'm just looking for some experienceed Ric players to spout off.

"Bury me with all my stuff...because you know that it is mine...."
    -Master Shake
  2. Russ

Apr 11, 2005
    Haven't posted here before, but the regular board I hang out at is relatively dead the last couple of days...I've got an 04 4003, and freakin love it...nice growl to it, beefy lows, crisp highs, in your face mids...reasonably comfortable to play (a bit heavier than my Carvin B4, slightly heavier than my Gibson Victory). Haven't used the "Ric-o-sound" option, and probably won't. All in all, a VERY solid, nice sounding, reasonably versitile bass, and let's face it...pretty darn cool too... :D
  3. Are you talking about the 4003 v. the 4001 or the 4003 v. the 4004?

I've got a 4003 and I am extremly happy with it. Great instrument at a great price. Pretty much anything by Rickenbacker is quality, so the choice is a personal one. The 4003 is the "standard" right now(meaning most of the Ric's you'll find will be 4003's), the 4001 is it's predecessor(skinnier neck, slightly different electronics compared to the 4003) and the 4004 is the most modern model. Not many 4004's around, personally I have never got play one. There's one or two 4004 owners on here, though. From what I've heard they're more rounded and less agressive sound-wise though I can't comment on the feel.
  4. LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Mitchell, how much did you pay for your 4003?
    AS of right now, that is probably the one I will purchase if I ever save enough money. I'm guessing they are around 2 grand. Everywhere I look says email for price, so I can't get an accurate number. Also, does the fact that it has 20 frets instead of 22 make any difference or are you just missing some of those really high notes that you would not play anyway?
  5. I've never played the 4001, or the 4004, but I'm the proud owner of a less-than-a-month-old Fireglo 4003. Let me tell you one thing first - the craftsmanship is flawless. I've never with God as my witness, have ever gotten a new bass as astounding as my 4003. It must be the same feeling as getting a new Jag. When I opened the case, it had it's own "new bass smell" similar to expensive swedish chocalate. When I play it, it's in another league of tonality. When you play a Ric, people will KNOW that it's a Ric.

I paid $1050 flat from American Musical - their Ric prices fluxuate according to the Ric market. I remember around this time last year, they had Ric's for $1000. It really is worth every last penny though.
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    4003's sell almost everywhere for just over $1000.