The Mighty Rig of Doom is coming together...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Dec 22, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got my first Accugroove Whappo Jr. broken in, and a second one on the way. Crest CA9 poweramp (1800 watts) won on Ebay should be on its way, and I'm sitting here with an Alembic F1-X preamp on loan from my local shop, waiting for me to write the check (so far it's kicking my SWR SM-900's ass despite having a limited and confusing way of shaping tone. Fortunately, I'm somewhat comfortable with the idea of tonal relativism). :D

I'm thinking I might ought to buy athletic cups for my bandmates for Xmas. :smug: :hyper:
  2. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Hell with them. Turn it up and kick em' in the nuts............
  3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Are you playing stadium gigs?
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    great preamp. You can read my review of it in the gear review section of it here on TB. The secret is this. Flat is 2-10-2 with the deep switch and bright switch off. Every time you move one knob it will affect the other two work to soem degree. You'll get used to it after a while. I used 4-9-5 a lot. 10-10-10 actually sounds really good and is not as mid scooped as you'd think by a long shot. Much less mid scooped than 5-5-5. Engaging the deep swich changes a value of a capacitor in the bass control, but also has quite an effect on the treble knob, making it much more sensitive.

Great rig by the way. You can have a lot of fun by plugging into the swr's input, running a cord from the swr's tuner out to the alembic's input, and plugging the full range out of the alembic into the effects return of the swr. (the tuner out of the swr is unaffected by the swr preamp). Turn the effects knob to dry gives you just swr, wet gives you just alembic, and you can mix the two. sounds. I used to do that a lot with my f1-x and swr electric blue. Usually i didn't mix them, just used as a switch for two very different tones.
  5. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    ..and post a pic so you can win the "show your amp" thread!
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    When I get lucky...

Attached Files:

7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the tips, Ivan... I definitely did my homework on the F1-X before trying this one out, and knew about the 2-10-2 thing. What I find somewhat worrysome is the way the tone controls are so interactive with one another. I'm afraid of getting to a gig, having to adjust lows for room acoustics, and *wham* changing the way the mids and highs sound inadvertently. OTOH, any preamp that lets me dial in a better sound in 15 minutes than what I've gotten after weeks of fiddling with the SM-900 has got to be given serious consideration... maybe a graphic EQ in the FX loop...? hmmmm. Just when I thought I was getting *away* from an amp with too many knobs! :D
  8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    If you really want to throw your self for a loop, pair that F1-X with a Superfilter.

tha rig o' doom looks good, I'm almost finished with my own R.O.D.

lots o' Bag End in this one...
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yes... sounds like it'll kill! I'm glad the "Mini rig of doom" has caught on. I loved my bagend / AMP mini stack in the 90s... and even more so, my currently finished tube R.O.D

The C9 is what I'll be replacing my back up Crown with some day... killer amp!
  10. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Sounds like a whole lot of unneccesary stuff. It's a good thing you don't gig very often. I'm sure your bandmates will love you but, whatever's best for the band, right?.
    I played a baseball stadium last month and used the same 250watt combo I use at every other gig(except radio promos where I play a 25watt Vox), and I can use anything I wish as we have a 3-man crew that hauls, sets up, and tears down the backline/PA/lights.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

i hadda sell my pair and i wish i didnt have to.
    honestly secret, find a tone that works for you and you'll almost never have to mess with it. Pre's liek the alembic and demeter sound so good that it's almost never necessary to do room eq except for really minor adjustments. Like i said, 4-9-5 (deep off) is kinda a good overall sound.
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions. One evening at home yielded 1-10-2 with bright on and deep off. You might think that would sound a little thin, and it probably would on a cab other than the Whappo Jr. ;)

The real test will be at a rehearsal on Sunday... if those settings sound as good full-band as they do at home, I'm 100% sold.

As a loyal SWR guy for years, it pains me a bit to say that there's more magic in the F1-X's bright switch than in any combination of SWR enhance/transparency controls I've ever found.

13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ah, now here's an interesting bouquet... a prominent note of thread-crashing rudeness... and ahhh... I do believe I detect a note of jealousy and assumptive sarcasm, with a harrrumph of a finish.

Glad you like your rig. I've played plenty of big stages on small, 2x10 backline rigs and gotten through the gig just fine. I like the sound of a big rig better, 10 times out of 10, and don't mind hauling it. So...

Go crash your own thread! :scowl:

14. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Ron (Nigel), I just checked out the Eggmen's website and all I have to say is... Dude, you're one UGLY BASS PLAYER...almost as fat & ugly as myself! :eek: :D

You ought to get a rig like SecretDonkey's just so you can hide behind it (J/K) ;) .

- Ugly.
  15. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I'm sorry, I'm just bored. But I do feel name calling isn't called for.
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

Rig size is most definitely a matter of preference. In this pic, my old rig (no equal for the new rig o' doom, but fairly substantial, eh?) is in front of the headlining bassist's rig - a little 2x10 set on top of the drummer's kick case, though you can't really see it. The headliner was a Nashville artist and the bass player played great and sounded great out front. His rig was entirely adequate for his needs.

On the other hand, the stadium photo earlier was for a show where we opened for Asleep at the Wheel out in West Texas (IATBM is from Austin so should know of these guys). Their bassist had no less than four Eden 2x10 cabs stacked up on his own riser, with TWO floor wedges pointed at him.

The upshot? There's more than 17.3 ways to skin a cat, and different people will prefer different methods.

:cool: :)

Attached Files:

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :p That was awesome!
  18. BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    Ahhhh the rig of doom. No Bass player should be without one

Mine is

Demeter HBP-1 (recently replacing a Sansamp RBI)
    QSC PLX2402

Then stacked top to bottom

SWR SOB 1x15
    SWR Goliath III 4x10
    SWR Bigben 1x18

When we play to 100 people at a local bar I use the rig of Doom because the PA is usually rubbish and won't handle Bass.

When we scored a gig in front of 30,000 people at a motocross event the rig of Doom was right at home on a massive stage.
  19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    secretdonkey, quite the amp setup! I miss not having my F1-X, I really made a mistake in selling mine. IMO you're going to enjoy it the more you use it.

F1-X, 2 Whappo Jr's and a Crest CA-9; what a killer rig. :cool: See my sig; looks like we both like headroom.

IMO nothing's better than having more amp than you'll ever need, and I bet you'll never need to push your new amp past it's limits. What a great feeling.

Congrats, -Art
  20. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Here's my rig of doom:

BBE BMAX-T preamp
    QSC PLX3002 poweramp (stereo)

Channel 1: Avatar B210, 2 Bag End S-15Ds
    Channel 2: 2 SWR Big Bens

I can't figure out why everybody is always telling me to turn down. . . :meh: