Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mike Dirnt P-bass is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaracasBass, Feb 9, 2005.

1. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    At last... after a 6 week waiting, my brand new Fender M.D. P-bass is here.

Looks:
    It´s a great bass, not too heavy (never as heavy as mi ATK, of course) and feels very solid and well constructed, no finish flaws. The strings are a little high to my taste, nothing that a quick bridge (Badass II) adjust can´t solve. The frets look well finished (I´m not an expert so I can be wrong).
    It has that 51 classic body shape and p/g that makes you stand out visually. The only thing that looks cheap is the pickguard, maybe I´ll replace it in the future.

Sound:
    I don´t have another fender P-bass to compare how it sounds, and my ATK is a very diferent animal in every way. But my ears don´t lie to me, it has that caracteristic P-bass sound that I was looking for. It begs you to play with a pick (remember Gn´R´s Duff Mckagan) to have all that nice atack and presence. I like it´s fingerstyle-sound too.
    Many people said that it has a nice slap sound... I have to agree with that, maybe is the Badass bridge.... talking about the Badass, one word: SUSTAIN. It rings for days (not like the ATK that rings for weeks), even unpluged you can hear that P-bass sound.

Electronics:
    The Fender Custom Shop ´59 split pup sounds nice, and the simple (classic) volume and tone controls do their work fine. It has, although, a little hum when you get your hands of the strings, maybe is caused by a poor shielding work. I´ll have to inspect that soon.

I have to admit that I was a little nervous buying a bass that wasn´t a classic model (like a MIA P-bass, J, Stingray, etc) AND most important, that I never played before... but it turn out to be everything that I wanted, and for the price ($660 including Miami-Caracas shipping) it´s a whole lotta bass.

I can´t wait to play it tonite at my band´s rehersal and see my bandmates´ reaction and coments. After that, I´ll post my impresions about how it sounded with the band.

Here are some crappy pics I took with my webcam. More and better pics coming soon!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. These are very cool basses. I got my sunburst before Christmas, after playing loads of different basses up to the £850 mark. I got this for £499. I loved the feel but I swapped out the pups for SD vintage for a less 'punky' sound. As you say the pickguard is awfull and mine has distorted and lifted away from the body under the strings. Other than that the bass is wicked-hope you love it as much as I do!

3. I love mine. I just wish I could get a better fingerstyle sound out of it. But I could mess with my amp settings more if I really wanted to. All in all, it's a solid bass and it rules.

4. Hey, congrats on the Mike Dirnt, Caracas. :bassist:

I love those old, 1950s-style Fender headstocks. :cool:

Enjoy.

We want a full report ASAP. ;)

Mike

5. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    i also have this bass as soon as i saw it in my total guitar bass edition i was wanting to go straight to the shop and order it. it sounds great plays great looks great. the only thing i would say is that its a bit heavy, all my other basses are a lot lighter, but its worth it for such a good bass.

i got mine in black

the white you can get it in im confused about. in my magazine it looked orangey, but on fenders colour chart vintage white.....actualy looks white. and then saying that mikes white version looks actually white instead of the slight hint of yellow, if anyone understands what i mean. if anyone has a white MD bass could you put up some pics?thanks

this is the best bass i own by far

6. Looks awesome. I wonder why it took 6 weeks. Did you have to pay an duty or tariff in Caracas?

I will have to check one out. I would have a black pearloid guard put on it.

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

It took 6 weeks because MusiciansFriend was out of stock the day I order it (Dec 15), then it was delivered to my friend´s house in Miami on Jan 7, and he send it via courier the next day (Jan 8) to Caracas, that took 3 weeks until I finaly got it last friday.

I paid $599 for the bass and $55 for shipping Miami-Caracas.

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi again,

I played my M.D. P-bass in my band´s rehersal, so here is a short report:

I felt very confortable playing all our songs on a 4 string (remember that my only bass for a year was a 5 string), but I missed the low B in some tunes, though.

The drummer said that the P-bass lacks that HUGE bottom of the ATK, but has a presence and definition that the ATK doesn´t. He said he heard every note I played very well.

The guitar player (my brother) is in love with this thing, he has always wanted me to buy a Fender P-bass, and he agrees with me that it doesn´t fits in all our songs, specially the heaviest ones.

The singer couldn´t make it due to car problems, but who cares about what the singer thinks anyway!! (just kidding :D ).

I´m in love with my new P-bass, I know it´ll not replace my ATK as my main bass, but is a much needed addition to my arsenal, because is a very diferent animal and I wanted that P-bass sound for some songs, and it´s a nice backup bass when my back and shoulders need a rest from the Ibanez.

More and better pics coming soon!!!! :bassist:

9. I'm also wondering about getting one of these...

Is it in any way better than usual precision basses? Or is it more expensive just because of the name Mike Dirnt?

I've been loving Green Day for several years, so a bass like this would be cool...

And by the way (which reveals I'm an amateur :bawl: )
    Are these basses active or passive?

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    It's pretty different from a standard P - quite a unique design.

Looks
    Neck shape/feel
    Pickup is nice
    Badass bridge

Stuff like that. If I've missed anything out, feel free to add on to me.

11. I dont really care for Green Day all that much, but the bass itself looks pretty cool. I'd like to try one if I see it in a store for fun. I like the mix of old style looks with new style electronics.

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    That was one of the reasons to got it, love that vintage look!!!

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    It is more expensive than a Fender Standard P-Bass (made in mexico), but it´s a better bass in many ways: better pickup, better bridge, diferent look, cheap pickguard :scowl: though!!!

14. word has it that the pickguards on the sting basses are cheap, as well. It would be nice if Fender could rectify that situation. I like the looks of the early '50s style P-bass with the amoeba pickguard...but I'm leaning towards a sting sig because of the pickup (don't like the inlay on the 12th fret, however). Plus, I already have a P-bass with the split coil pup and a rosewood fretboard.

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Call me crazy........... I tried my M.D. P-bass side by side with a MIA P-bass (´98 I was told) and mine sounded just as full and rich as the MIA.

I couldn´t be any happier!!!!!!! :D

(Some day justice will be done and I´ll take nice pics of my "familly", promise!!)