1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Mike Lull Club Part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, May 27, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've always been a fan of D'Addario nickels on mine.

PWV, bdgotoh and Drkwdsman@yahoo like this.
  2. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I like Light-Light Sunbeams on my P4. Nice low tension and warm tone.

One odd things is that I've really liked TI Flats on all the basses I've tried them on except my P4. Just didn't seem to bring the best out in the bass. Thinking of giving them another try though.

Drkwdsman@yahoo likes this.
  3. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    DR’s for me. I like the Fat Beams, and Pure Blues. I tried some Fender flats for a short moment - tone was fine, but tension was lame. All my Lull’s have had the T-bird style pickups, some in the P position (for what it’s worth :)

bdgotoh, Drkwdsman@yahoo and Holdsg like this.
  4. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Endorsing artist: Remic microphones
    I'm a flats fiend. Tried most of them, and nothing like a good P with flats (IMO).
    Current favorites include the EBMM Cobalt Flats, Sadowsky Blue Labels, and Labella Flexible Flats (TIs on a budget).

5. Killens84

Killens84

Sep 3, 2008
    For rounds, I’ve liked DR Sunbeams and DR Nickel Lo-Riders on my P4’s. I’ve tried others, but always come back to those; primarily the Lo-Riders.

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    DR have lower tension feel.
    Daadsario are staples.
    I actually like sadowsky nickels...

All giod...bigger question is steel vs nickel. Nickel feels better....and us easier on the frets. Steel sounds much brighter and snappier..bit rough on fingers when they are first put in.

7. Holdsg said:
    unfortunately, this one is now on the market. nothing wrong with the bass, just the owner.

For Sale - 1 of a Kind - Mike Lull P4 30"scale with Bisonic/Darkstar
    :jawdrop:
    Oh my, Mike makes the best short scale I have ever tried

Cheers
    -B~

I am so glad to hear that you think his short scale basses are the bomb. I saw that one come up and didn't move fast enough. I just put a deposit down for a PJ4-30 - And now begins the wait. Any other Lull short scale players out there that want to chime in?

Holdsg likes this.
  8. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I'm looking for a P4. Must have jazz neck and must be no heavier than 8 lbs.
    Rosewood board preferred.

Booty Shaman and TonyP- like this.
  9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I'm not normally a short scale guy...But I really like Mikes short scales...
    I'm thinking about a fretless with big singles.

Booty Shaman likes this.
  10. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Drkwdsman@yahoo Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
  11. hanzepans

hanzepans

Nov 12, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Just received this beastly P. It's a UP4 from 2008 with anodized pickguard. Can't find the specs anymore on Mike's website, but I believe the difference with the P4 is that this has the pre-CBS specs and neck radius.

I played a wonderful Lull V4 for years, but lately I only play Precisions in my band, so when selling the V4, someone offered me this as a trade. Very happy with the deal. The wide neck takes some getting used with it's 44 mm nut, but the neck feels wonderful and the playability is excellent. The sound is absolutely great. Very deep articulate P growl, and a rich tone. Amazing from such a light bass. This feels so much better than the Fender American vintage basses I've tried.

z3PmSC6h.

pulwIkbh.

Attached Files:

12. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Congrats, that's a rare bass! Mike didn't make a lot of those. Here's the specs:

February 21, 2008
    Mike Lull Custom Guitars has introduced an Ultra-Vintage series of Jazz and P-style basses. These basses have a twenty fret necks with a traditional 7-1/4" radius fingerboard. The UV4 comes only with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard while the UP4 is available with Brazilian Rosewood and Birdseye Maple fingerboards. Swamp Ash or Alder bodies are available on both models.

The Ultra-Vintage series have passive electronics and use custom wound Lindy Fralin pickups for a tone from an earlier era.

13. hanzepans

hanzepans

Nov 12, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the info! Do you know why he stopped making them?

bdgotoh likes this.
  14. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I assume it was lack of demand. One less fret and a different fingerboard radius are pretty subtle differences for the upcharge, and Mike's standard P4 is such an incredible bass.

InnerBass and TonyP- like this.
  15. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Hey Gang...

So the folks over the shop are redoing the Mike Lull website.
    The new signature models from both Bryan and I will be on there.

More stuff coming in the both the 35" and 30" realms...Cheers

16. Drkwdsman@yahoo

Drkwdsman@yahoo Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Birmingham
    Sweet. Need to sell or trade my Roscoe for a PJ.

InnerBass and TonyP- like this.
  17. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    When Mike first dropped them from the price list, he would still take orders for them. That may no longer be the case, but I bet it is...

18. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Like Prog Rock?
    All recorded with a Lull
    Cheers

19. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yes and yes! :D

TonyP- likes this.
  20. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Great point Greg, Mike will build pretty much anything you want!

mark beem, TonyP- and RocketMusic like this.