Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the million dollar question abuot low B string!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Apr 16, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I finaly found a great question about the low B string, when was this string first installed in a bass, who or which brand did it and who was the genious who developed such a great idea? and if anyone out there has a photo plz post it

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Try googling it. There's an electric bass timeline floating around, somebody posted it here a few months ago. I don't know how terribly accurate it is, though.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Fender released the Fender Bass V in '65, and there is romor of a Ric 'round about the same era.

4. The fender bass v has a high c, not a low B.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep.

Never heard a rumor about the Rick, knuckle head. Any info?

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That's probably the best gift I ever recieved.

My dad just brought me the book a month or so after my birthday a couple of years back and said something like, "Lets just say its a late present. I saw it and knew I had to get it for you."

I have to thank him again.

Peace
    Nick

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The first bass with more than 4 strings and a B?
    Why, its so old we can barely give a date... Dimmed by the fog of history... ;)
    What most of you forget here is that experimenting with instruments began when they were being created. As we all know, the ancestor of most bow instruments is the viola da gamba, a 6-string bow instrument with frets (!!!) :eek: :p ; there were many variations and mutations based on that instrument: I have seen 5-string cellos and 7-string violins from the baroque, which was another surge in experimenting with instruments.
    Today, I think, we are living in another cycle of experimenting, which was brought on by the new technologies (magnetic pick-ups and amplification) and the new instruments it created (electric instruments - among them bass guitar).

:cool:

9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I believe Jimmy Johnson said he got the idea from upright basses with 5 strings.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jaco only needed four strings. :p

11. Man.. Imagine if he would have used 5. Maybe he would have if there had been a decent 5 string jazz at the time :hyper:

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Also a guy in a Christian rock band called Sweet Comfort Band (out of Ca.) named Kevin Thomson was using an Alembic Omega style 5 string in the 70's. The group formed in 1973 but I'm sot sure when Alembic made his bass. I first noticed them around 1978 but the bass was pictured on some of the earlier albums.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their are some older upright basses out their that are 5 string basses, i have seen Kay and Epiphone. Hofner now makes a 5 string upright.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you listen to Gary Willis, you'll get an idea of what he might have sounded like.

The first time I heard GW, was back in the 70's playing fretted and fretless Jazz basses with a Ft. Worth local band, "The Hamm Brothers Band" or ("Capt. Crunch and the AllStars", I think the former--Capt.C was one of the band's earlier names, before that "Israfel"). He was with the NTSU (now NTU) One O'clock Band. Even back then, he was tearing up the "Jaco Style". I was never fortunate enough to hear Jaco live, but if anyone alive could out-Jaco Jaco, it would be GW.

He has developed his own voice on bass since then, but still very "Jaco-esque" at times.

He mostly plays 5 string fretless now, leads his own band and plays with "Tribal Tech" and others.

Here's an interesting bio on GW I just found.

I didn't realize he is from Longview, TX; that's like 20 miles from where I graduated High School (Ore City, TX--graduating class of 31 students).

15. Man.. Imagine what Gary Willis would sound like if Jaco had a decent 5 string Jazz at the time :p :p

16. he did have a couple of 5-strings- there's a pic of him playing a Guild Pilot 5, and he had an acoustic 5 custom built IIRC with a high C.

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Do you think jaco would have turned down a 7 string if it was available?

18. I think Jaco would have said "You TBers worry too much about gear and not nearly enough about playing". ;)

Mike

19. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I read an interview with him and he mentioned that his father played classical bass with an extension. That planted the idea in his mind which eventually lead to him looking for an extended-range bass.

On a side note: There is a Flim&the BB's record that features Jimmy and his Dad playing on a track together. Pretty cool.

20. Yep. He strung it with GHS at the time, using the fattest E string they made, which was .120 if memory serves, which it usually doesn't.