1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The MIM Jazz Deluxe V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ectoflanger, Apr 12, 2009.

1. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

Mar 17, 2009
    Am a happy owner of an '07 American std Jazz four string. Interested in a five string, but budgetary considerations have me looking at MIM's I've seen on ebay going for mid-400's. Any opinions on the MIM's you would care to offer?

2. Ecto -

This is what you need, right here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374320&h

3. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

Mar 17, 2009
    Amazingly I played that exact bass (same color and everything) a few days ago to try out a bass amp (to see how well it handled a low B) at Guitar Center!! The neck seemed pretty wide but not difficult to play. It seemed like a nice instrument, however I have heard horror stories about the necks on Squiers going south down the road after you buy them-- how long have you had yours?

4. I don't have it anymore -- I sold it to fund some GAS. Take the time to read the entire thread -- nothing wrong with the neck on that bass. If you search all of TB, there is very little bad that anyone else says about it.

5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I owned a 5 string MIM Jazz Deluxe V for several years. The current model is a little different from the one I had but it still had the electronics from the USA model Jazz Deluxe. Other than being ridiculously heavy (13.5 pounds) I thought it was a really nice bass for the price. I haven't played a current model though it seems like they generally get pretty nice reviews as well.

Though, as IotaNet indicated, the Squiers are also getting some really nice write ups too.

6. ectoflanger

ectoflanger

Mar 17, 2009
    I went through the thread and am impressed-- I'll check it out again at the GC. So you feel that the neck should stay true for a long time to come? I ask because the only Squier I ever owned was a strat that a friend bought for me while I was overseas in the military in the mid-80's and the neck went bad.

7. I had a MIM Deluxe Jazz V until a couple years ago. I think my was a late 90s model. I bought mine used already upgraded with a BTB-01 preamp, and I had Bartolini pickups installed. Overall, it was a very solid bass, and I felt the B was acceptable with a decent setup. Mine also came with Gotoh tuners, but I'm not sure if they were standard when the bass was made. Might have been another upgrade.

I don't recall how much I paid for it, but it sold for just over $200 including shipping when I sold it. That buyer really got a good deal!