Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mingus Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Alexi David, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Since there's often talk about Mingus' basses, I thought it'd be a good idea to consolidate all of the info in one thread, and add to it from time to time - I'll start off with two of the basses

1. 1937 Bass , given by Sue Mingus to Aladar Pege after Mingus's death

2. Lionhead, photo from a show in Milano in 1977

Attached Files:

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    mingus looks sick in that video man, i watched it the other night.

also how'd you get that screenshot.
    can you just pause the vid, then hit printscreen and copy it into photoshop???

3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Mingus was ill on this tour, the ALS had begun.

if you use BSPlayer, there is a capture frame option.

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    if you turn off the frame acceleration in WMP, you can just use the printscreen button, took me a few minutes research to find that out.

Attached Files:

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    and two more. the last post was mingus in '64 in oslo.
    these two are in stockholm in '64...check mingus' sunglasses :D

Attached Files:

6. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    as far as i can tell he's playing the same bass in these two videos.
    anyone have any idea what bass it is, might it be the 5/8's one he played or was that the roth with the serpents head???

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    On the european tour 64 it seems to be a pretty non-descript bass (nothing sticks out). It's definetely not the bass he bought in Milan (and later smashed to bits in the Fall), as The Milan show was late in the tour.

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
  9. spacecanoe

spacecanoe

Aug 6, 2002
    canaduh
    anyone know what happend to mingus's basses after he passed away? im sure his son must have at least one and i hear his wife gave one away.. ill keep checkin out the pawn shops and hopefully ill find one;) hahaha

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    well, one went to Aladar Pege, and another one was given to Red Callender.....the dragon head resides with the Mingus bands in NYC. I've seen Andy McKee play it. Ray Parker has sat in on it.

11. Alexi, gimme some run-down on the Dragon. I've never really heard any real historical info on it.
    It's a solo size, no? Maker?, country?

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The Lion head bass is with Boris Kozlov (Mingus Big Band player.)

13. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    No, it's the dragon one. I saw it. (I don't think they have the lion one).

14. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Ray Parker sat in on it and said it plays very fast. It's a small 3/4. The dragon was carved after the fact kinda dodgily (by who?). I'm pretty sure it's Czech, 20th century. Maybe German. [corrections appreciated if any!]

I promise I will get all of the info this Fall when I attend school - Andy McKee is in the faculty.

It was Mingus' favorite bass. A great piece of history. Played on the Ah Um album, various live shows around the world. A super-mojo bass!

oh, btw Paul - I saw this and thought of you! Maybe I'll bid on it! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7340668942&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

15. Man, those are collectors items!
    Francois should have those!
    Thanks Alexi!

What does Mingus' bass do with a player who doesn't play very fast? Huh, Ray huh?

16. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Yea, I saw it a couple of months ago. Tight band.
    Big shoe's to fill...

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I did play the one that Boris has. Very cool little bass. Seemed to be somewhere in size between a 5/8 and 3/4, or maybe even a 5/8. I didn't measure it or anything, just my impression. Keep in mind that my bass feels pretty big, so even a 3/4 Juzek feels little to me. I wasn't as small as a 1/2, though, for sure. For pizz it was a really fast responding fiddle. I didn't have a bow on it.

18. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I had a chance to play Kozlov's bass once at a clinic. The sound was fine, not amazing.

19. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Many have mentioned that they've seen Mingus' Lion-Head bass with the modern day Mingus Bands. Last week I asked Andy McKee about this and he said that the Lion Head is Andy's own Bernadel. And he doesn't know anything about the Dragon-Head, like maker or so.

20. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i watched the mingus video that has him squatting in a studio where he wants to start a music school but the city kicks him out. it shows that bass, he called it mingus fingus. it also shows him shooting a rifle in the studio, and his little girl, and it shows him telling one of the cops or some city official that he hopes the communists come and blow them all up :D

anyway you still can't tell much about the bass, i think he might mention where he got it but i'm not sure. it's a super nice looking violin cornered bass.