The Mini Monster LIVES! Avatar 210 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Aug 27, 2003.

1. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Finally hooked up the last piece last night, the Avatar 210.

FAR beyond my greatest expectation. This little cab is a thumper.

I'm just running mono from the Yamaha PB-1 and only using side B of the Yamaha P3200 (440/4ohms).
    Eventually I may add another cab and biamp, but the Avatar 210 just might hold its own against the lead player and his brace of Boogies. For heavy shore battery bombardment I could run it through the mains.

I haven't finished sorting out the fine tuning of the tone (does that odyssey ever end??), but for those of you considering a compact, very economical ($260 delivered!) 210 cab, the Avatar has my highest recommendation. I even called Dave today at Avatar and he spent a leisure 15 minutes discussing every issue and question I had.

Behold the MINI MONSTER!

2. Is that 2-10 4ohm or 8ohm?
  3. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    4 ohm

It put out a bottom end at a volume I didn't think possible.

I'm stunned. (And can't wait to crank it up again!)

4. Congratulations! It looks great, and I bet it sounds better! Now all you need to do is paint the grill silver ;).
  5. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    How do you guys get all black speaker cabinets to show up in your pictures? The pictures I took of the Avatars looked like a a black dog. Silhouette with a red tongue and white teeth somewhere inside it.
    I'm familiar with Gimp, and I tried tweaking the brightness and contrast, but it just didn't look natural.
  6. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Well, ok....since I'm among friends. I'll tell you my secret, high tech, professional photographic technique:

I used the flourescent shop light from my garage.
    Just positioned it on the floor in front of me when I sat down cross-legged and struggled to get the amp centered in the frame. (you can see just how unsuccessful I was at that!)

7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey Doc,

Since you don't seem to read your PMs, guess I'll have to ask you here if/when the new rig will see some action around B-town?

;) :)
  9. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    PM on the way!