Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The miserable G 16!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DriveThruEmoKid, Apr 28, 2003.

1. For some reason this one Fret always is messed up. G 15, fine, G 17, fine, the Rest of my frets, fine. But G 16 always has a ringing noise of the strig hitting a fret somewhere, as if the bridge were too low. But it isn' a slight ring, it isn't really a ring at all... It's difficult to explain. But should i just avoid this fret or is something wrong? I have a MIM P bass just in case

2. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    You might try this: Press the G string down at the 15th fret and also on the bridge side of the 20th fret. See if you can see any crack between the string and frets(16 thru 19). Your 16th fret might be low. You can try raising the G saddle a bit, also. You can go a quarter turn at a time on the allen wrench, retune and try it. This way you can get back to your original setting. I have also had a fret buzz while my bass was laying flat on a surface. When I put hung the bass on its strap the buzz disappeared. Hope this helps.