Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Misfits' New Disc and DVD...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hategear, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The Misfits Project 1950 CD and DVD will apparently be in stores tomorrow (July 29), for any that are interested. The disc contains punk versions of "This Magic Moment," "You Belong to Me," "Runaway," "Great Balls of Fire," Dream Lover" and "Monster Mash." The special edition DVD features 10 songs, with live performances shot at the Phillips U.S. Open Snowboarding Championships, the 2002 NYC Halloween show, the Misfits and Balzac performing together in Japan and "more eye candy exclusive to this release!"

Check out www.misfits.com for more info.

Click here to listen to a sample of "Runaway."

That is all.

2. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I picked this baby up a few days ago and I have to say, it's pretty cool. Jerry and Co. cover the following songs on this release: "This Magic Moment," "Dream Lover," "Diana," "Donna," Great Balls of Fire," "Latest Flame," "Monster Mash," "Only Make Believe," "Runaway" and "You Belong to Me."
    The special edition DVD includes live versions of "Lover," "Moment," "Diana," "Donna" and "Runaway," plus live versions of "Day the Earth Caught Fire" and "The Haunting/Don't Open 'Till Doomsday," both of which feature Balzac.

The booklet includes comments on each song by Jerry, Marky Ramone and Dez and a section written by Jerry Only, explaining the chord progressions used in each of the songs (basically, it's a how-to on how to write a punk song).

I wasn't impressed by the Balzac performances, but the other videos are cool and if you're a fan of the original versions of these songs (which I am), you'll probably like the re-dos (which I do).

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I must have missed this thread somehow. I LOVE the Misfits. I really like this CD. And I like all of Balzac except the singer.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So the CD's actually decent? I wanted to pick it up, but when I heard that Jerry Only was singing, I figured I'd pass. Oh well, I guess I'll probably pick it up when I see them on Monday. WOOHOO!

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Jerry's actually a pretty decent singer. Super cheesy though.

...And I hate you for seeing them when I can't. :p

6. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I was going to see the Fiend Fest in Chicago tonight, but I decided to go to the Type O Negative show in Milwaukee instead (mainly because it's closer).

Jerry does a decent job on this recording. As a vocalist, he is what he is. What's up with Doyle and the rest of the guys though (Dr. Chud and Graves)? It's not really the Misfits anymore, is it?

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Chud and Graves quit. :mad:

Doyle's going through a divorce so he's out until he gets done with that.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The Misfits last show was at the Freezer Thearter in Detroit. But, they are probably making more money now than when they were viable.

A friend of mine, (I lived in Ann Arbor then) was given Jerry Only's bass by Jerry Only. It was interesting looking. Don't know where it is now.

9. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Project 1950 debuted on Billboard's Heatseekers Chart at number 2 and Billboard's Top Independent Albums Chart at number 5.

Killer!

FWIW, I was never into Glenn Danzig.

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I was into Danzig for some strange reason, but not for his Misfits work. I enjoyed his work with his own band.

11. Jerry Only's a crazy Bass player. For a bit he tried playing with a bass with a rubber body. *UGH*.

Still, I wouldn't go to a Misfits show if you paid me, once again, the sad axiom proves true; The more money they make, the less I want to see them.

12. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    I liked Project 1950 plenty, but I thought it was much too short. the DVD made up for that though. I also got Balzac's new cd/dvd, Beyond the Darkness. it's great, but Hirosuke's singing is an acquired taste. As for Graves, he started a self-named band, taking Chud as his drummer. they already broke up, but I think the website is still up. its www.officialgraveswebsite.com . Doyle took some time off to spend with his daughter, who just turned 1 a few days ago.