Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Misfits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Does anyone else here love the Misfits? A good friend of mine is a hardcore fan, like REALLY hardcore fan. He's met the band like 3 times, he has a photo with Doyle, and has autographs from I think 3 members of the band, maybe all 4 (including Danzig). It's insane.

Anyway, since I've been hanging out with him a lot lately I started listening to the Misfits a lot more over the last few weeks then I used to. I gotta say, I've always liked their music, but until recently I never really got into them. He's (my friend) been force-feeding me Misfits trivia and playing nothing but their music whenever I'm around, and it's starting to grow on me.

Anyone else here a fan?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i'm a big fan of things being in the right forum.

but yes i like them.

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Another big Misfits fan here. The Danzig era stuff is by far my favorite, but I thought the Michael Graves albums were pretty good too.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've always been curious about the Misfits since I'm a huge Danzig fan. I've heard some of the newer stuff with Michael Graves. How's it compare to the Danzig era? What's his other band Samhain like?

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I (and I think most Misfit fans would agree with me) believe that Danzig-era stuff is much much better than anything put out by post-Danzig Misfits. P-D Misfists isn't terrible (though some of it is), but Danzig-era stuff is more raw, more menacing, and just more consistently fun and rocking. The playing on newer Misfits albums is a little bit better, but it's punk rock. Who cares about playing?

I haven't heard much Samhain, what I have heard sounded a little bit like the Misfits' Ramones-esque rock with a more blues/metal influence.

6. When I started listening to the Misfits, I thought- "who could not absolutely love this?!?!"

There are still things I think are monkey-****ingly awesome. But I'd rather listen to the first 2 Danzig albums.

As a side note, I saw Danzig on his first solo tour and was hugely disappointed he didn't do any Misfits stuff. I thought he sucked because it wasn't the Misfits.

7. I used to love the Misfits when I was in college and really heavily into the "classic" punk stuff (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, etc). Used to play them on my college radio show all the time.

The Misfits are best in small doses, I think. I can only listen to 2 minute songs about zombies eating people for so long before the music gets a little boring. I did enjoy most of the "Famous Monsters" album, personally. "Saturday Night" is a really awesome tune that I think anyone can get into if they hear it.

8. check out the album called: The Misfits Meet The Nutley Brass. its a lounge band playing Misfit covers.

absolutely awesome. for real.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    In high school one of my friends' uncle was their merch manager (or something like that) and she was a ginormous fan so she had signed crap everywhere. Oddly enough, she never played any for me, even though i'm into that kind of stuff. Any listening suggestions?

10. Glenn Danzig is, IMO, one of the greatest singers ever. Sometimes his lyrical content can become a little blah, blah, blah (Ya know, The fire and brimstone, demons and darkness kinda stuff) but that's mostly on his solo music. I think The Misfits were a little more fun in their approach.

I was in a Misfits cover band , well I guess it was a punk cover band but mostly Misfits songs, and that was one of the funest bands I've ever played in.

Long live the "Legacy of Brutality"

:bassist:

11. Until about Danzig III when he started believing he was one of the greatest singers ever.

A few months ago Glenn was on Alice Cooper's radio show. Every time I'd heard Glenn talk, he sounded 'big.' As you would imagine Glenn to sound. Talking to Alice he sounded like Patton Oswald talking about comic books, scary movies and playing with action figures. He wasn't using his put on 'tough' voice. Just a dweeby nerd voice.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We all played their records to death, especially BEWARE! when they came out. They were big in Detroit and everyone would load up into the cars and go see them when they came around.

A cadre of my friends got close to them and the bass player Gerry Onley(?) gave this fellow his bass with the Ax handle headstock. He brought it over to the house and we all checked it out. That's the last I ever saw of it.

Kinda cool.

13. I'm mostly just talking about his singing style. I'll agree with you he definently has a huge ego.

In fact I read an article about when he had an apearence on Aqua Teen Hunger Force. And they said he was horrible to work with.

First he wanted more money for the appearence

And then he complained about the cartoon drawing of him saying; "I'm way more ripped than that".

Now thats hillarious!!

14. Anyone ever see that video clip of Glenn Danzig getting punched out by another musician? Now, THAT was funny.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Agreed. "London Dungeon" is a song that has stuck with me through the years, too.

Cherie

16. Never saw it, but I thought it was just some angry fan?

17. I'm talking about his singing voice. He started getting a big head about it and doing all the operatic stuff.:scowl: Sort of like when you tell a guitar player he's good then he decides he needs to show off. :scowl:

18. That was about a band that got bumped off the bill. IIRC, they were mad because they had driven a long way to play the show only to get bumped.

I can't find the video anymore, but...

From a site I don't want to link to for "language" reasons.

19. Another unlinkable article...

20. If I recall the story, Danzig was putting on a show with all these bands...and the show ended up being ended early, for whatever reason. One of the guys in a band that didn't get to play goes to talk to Danzig about it. Anyway, what is shown on the video is the guy going up to Danzig and shaking his hand, and saying something like "hey man, our band didn't get to play." Danzig responds with "go out and play now, man." The guy says "Hey, the lights are all out and everything."

So then, Danzig goes off, and shoves the guy. He responds by bouncing right back with a HUGE swinging right hand to Danzig's face, which knocks him right down.

I wish I could find the video, it was pretty cool.