Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Mitsubishi 3000GT

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Aug 24, 2005.

1. I'm keeping my eyes open for new car possibilites, and I would regularly go for something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but seeing how horrible gas is lately, I've decided that its not really practical. So I started looking at 2 door coupe cars that look sharp, and I've seen a couple 3000GT's I really like, but I don't really know much about the car itself. I want to know all about it. The one I'm interested in is a SL model, inbetween the Base and VR4 models.

Reliability?
    Handling?
    Ride?
    Quickness?
    Quirks?
    Flaws?
    Modification Possibilities?

etc...

How can you tell a Base from a SL model externally? What years were these made? Do you think it's possible to find a good condition one with under 100K miles on it for under $8,000? Does anyone own one? How do you like it?

[​IMG]

2. Not sure about he car itself, but if you search autotrader there are lots for just at 8k with ~90k miles.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Its an Eh kind of car...

It can be pretty fast... control could be good... mod for it are avelible... it can break though... ride is ride of a sporty car... but it is kind of heavy...

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Did you look around vehix.com, cars.com, or autotrader.com?

-Mike

5. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    if it's been taken good care of get it

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    My mother-in law had one ( I'd let that help me make the decision on getting the car or not myself...) and while it was a nice looking car, it was not particularly fast or comfortable. She had it for about 10 years (it was a '93 she bought new) and for the past several years had some serious problems (transmision, which was a manual, started to have problems, engine management computer died, several other expensive repairs.) and IIRC in the end it had about 150k miles on it. There are quite a few of them around here, almost exclusively owned by upper middle aged women and a few men. There is one older guy that lives in my neighborhood who just sold his red '97 (in great shape) to a kid a few streets over and got one of the spiders (VERY cool version of the car with the retractable hard top, but IIRC they were in the $70K range new..) and I can't say that I see to many with any kind of serious mods, but they are rather common so there should be stuff for it on the market.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Those cars rarelly are taken care of from what i've seen... people seem to like to abuse them...

8. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    well......can you blame them i would drive the hell out of it to

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am not... I've done the same... its why you get the car like that in first place... to have some fun in it:) But once its done... its done

10. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    yep unless you have the money to do a complete overhaul

11. Funny how I saw one today and wondered if they were a good buy. I heard Mitsubishis are a bit on the expensive side when it comes to parts and repair (like many foreign cars). Definitely looked cool, though.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Consider that you can probably get a Dodge Stealth RT for (usually) less money - the equivalent of the VR4 3000GT. Thanks to the early 90's DSM platform-sharing, there are a couple of cars that you can usually get for cheaper under a different name.

Something to look into - don't take my word for it.

edit: A quick search on Autotrader.com showed that the Stealth RT's (turbo all-wheel drive) go for a good chunk less than the VR4 Mitsus. You can probably get a 93-94 RT in your price range.

Good luck!

another edit: If you like the Mitsubishi, but are concerned about gas mileage, look into a Mitsu Eclipse/Eagle Talon (again, same car). In '99 and earlier models, they came in N/A front-wheel drive, turbo front wheel drive, and all-wheel drive turbo trim levels. Lots of options!

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Camaro SS all the way. Or Pontiac Trans Am. Both would smoke the 3000GT, ride better (IMO), handle better, and can haul more gear!

-Ray

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Unless you get the full bore turbo VR4 model they aren't that hot. Not enough power, too much weight and they handle horribly. You can of course fix all these issues with money and work, but "out of the box" the base 3000GT/Stealth is a very disappointing car.

Also don't expect to get decent milage out of a car like the 3000GT simply because its not an SUV. Even a small engine will get horrid milage when run to the limit all the time. And a 3.0L 6 isn't small by any stretch. Adding a turbo worsens the equation because you have to run most turbos fairly hard to get boost.

My old cherokee with a 4L 6 got better milage than my Tiburon (2.7L V6) or either of my BMWs (2.8 and 3L I6s).

Fast cars get lousy milage. Accept, adapt or move on. :)

15. i think ray is a big GM fan. i too would go with a camaro or trans am though.

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you want a car thats good on gas, and you have money to spend. get something practical.

my ex girlfriend had one of these, so i got to drive it a lot. the car is eh. it ran good, but it didnt get good gas mileage. it was uncomfortable for me cause im a pretty big dude. it didnt have a whole lot of get up and go, and it broke down a lot. me, i wouldnt get one.

if i wanted practicality. i would get a honda.

17. I wouldn't even bother going for anything less than a VR4. The non-turbo models are slow. They are also really heavy cars.... a VR4 weighs like 3800lbs. I'm not sure if you've driven one, but if you're tall, there is no way you'll be comfortable driving one. I drove a friend's VR4 once, and while it was sweet, I had to put the seat all the way back.

Oh and also, they are impossible to work on yourself. I've never seen a more cramped engine bay in my life.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    What ever in the world gave you that impression? ;):D!

-Ray

19. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    what are you talking about those cars handle like tanks compared to the mitsu's

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yes, a car BUILT for the track, that weighs less, puts more power down, and has a *much* better built and tuned suspension is going to handle worse. I've driven both vehicles, I can say for a certain FACT that the 3000GT would be absolutly smoked in a straight line, and a road couse versus both cars I mentioned.

-Ray