the MLB All Star game is stupid (rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    - It's mostly just about marketing, advertising, and money these days. Also the fact that I never heard of most of the players that are in the lineup. Who are these people? They even have a "red carpet" thing outside the stadium, what a supid idea.

- I like how Century 21 dontated about 250,000$ or so to charity. This is a multi-billion dollar company, the players on the field make milllions upon millions of dollars a year, and all they can donate is 250,000$? Geeze thanks, that's pocket change to these people. Donate more, most of these people have more money then they will ever spend.

- I guess my real gripe is I just can't stand "Comerica Park". Watching the home run derby yesterday, the blimp kept showing shots of the old Tiger Stadium just 2 miles away. It's a beautiful historic ballpark and now it sits with the other 70,000 or so abandoned buildings in Detroit.

Picture taken by me.

Boo to Comerica park (what a lousy name for a ball park)

sorry for the rant, I had a bad day.

2. It's probably more than you'll ever donate to any organization in your lifetime.

They didn't have to donate anything at all, you know.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That wasn't a rant. That was a whine. I want my 45 seconds back.

Oh, and what boneheaded logic makes you think that Century 21 only donates money once a year during the All Star game? :eyebrow:
  4. The Detroit Symphony's version of the British 'National Anthem' was beautiful though... and Brian McNight did a pretty nice job on the National Anthem!
  5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yeah everyone around here is pretty discusted. All the radio stations were urging people to send angry e-mails to fox sports. That awful annoying chick wore a huge orange dress too, everyone is calling her The Pumpkin chick. God is she ugly.

Ernie Harwell has been involved in baseball since the 40's only to have this beast of a woman cut him off in the middle of answering a question that SHE asked. This is what happens when these people hire women to cover sporting events.
  6. Stupidity is not gender-specific. There's a great example close by.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I knew most of the players. Was kinda hoping kenny rogers would have killed someone last night that would have been exciting. I think its funny how they got all this attention about steroids and you can just see these guys shrink over night!
  8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bah. I'm not particularly fond of the All-Star game, or interleague play, for that matter. I still like watching baseball as a sport, and I really don't get into the steroids or doping issues...I just like the game. There are also some beautiful new stadiums built within the last 10-15 years like the Ballpark in Arlington and PNC Park (especially if you park over in Station Square and take one of the Gateway Clipper ferries to the stadium).
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Don't forget homefield advantage for the World Series!

...whatever that's worth.
  10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I disagree. A select few of the newer parks are decent
    (Texas, Baltimore, San Fran), but a majority of them are bland and classless.

I miss yee old Tiger Stadium. I'm sure White Sox fans miss the old Comisky Park, the new one is just dredful.
  11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Never been to tiger stadium have you :smug:
  12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yes I have, that picture up there was taken by me before they closed it down.
  13. Ever been to PNC? It's not bad, if I do say so myself.

The All-Star game was better when it didn't determine anything, IMO. I agree with you on the cross-promotional stuff - it's quite irritating. I'm not sure why the cast of 'Fantastic 4' is doing the lead-in to the midsummer classic...

I don't see where you're coming from when you say you didn't know most of the players - while the field wasn't exactly covered with future hall of famers, the vast majority of the names should have been easily recognizable for the casual baseball fan.

Anyone else hate the addition of extra cameras on the mound and at the plate? Those shots are quite lame. Or maybe I'm just bitter that Jason Bay couldn't manage a single home run in the derby. Oh, my poor Pirates...