1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Modern Lovers (1976)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Feb 14, 2020 at 5:56 AM.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    This album was one that I discovered in my impressionable teens (1986). It was recorded in 1972 by John Cale. A week before I bought it on cassette, I had never even heard of the band, but Jonathan Richman had appeared on MTV Cutting Edge and I think this album was reissued a few days later due to interest/demand, I assume after his appearance on TV. Supposedly it was one of those albums that influenced whoever listened to it, particularly in the punk new wave realm. I believe it.

After buying it, I would go on to listen to it once or twice a day over that next year. I almost couldn't get to sleep after hearing it the first time, just thinking about it that first night.

Anyone else a fan?

hqdefault.jpg

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

can't say that i am --- but my ignorance of the band precedes my claim. i'll listen to some of it on youtube (if it's available there) and get back. you're obviously affected, so i'll check it out.

i tend to like all music (forms, genres, statements, etc.)

ElectroVibe likes this.
  3. JRA

i listened to:
    - government center
    - old world
    - hospital

i heard those three tunes with the bias (perhaps a priori) that they are 'period specific' and 'period appropriate'. i can see/hear that those three cuts might appeal to the listeners seeking 'raw'. the writing doesn't do a lot for me, and the production does even less, but that's just because i have preferences (much different) that others might feel is limiting in their own right.

so: can't say i'm a fan, but it's pretty cool to listen to what others like. i enjoyed the experience of checking out one of your favs! thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

edit: attempt at clarity :D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    ElectroVibe likes this.
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    "Roadrunner" is our unofficial state anthem.
    (Sorry, Bostonians, but it's a better song than "Dirty Water.")

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...never heard of them.
    This was released in 1976...the beginning of my Jazz Nazi daz. So no surprise there.
    I wiki'd them...Jerry Harrison (The Talking Heads) & John Robinson (The Cars). What I heard does sound like The Velvet Underground. No surprise, right?
    Some also reminded me of the New York Dolls.

I am OK with the production, FWIW.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  6. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    "Old World" is one of the better half of the songs. Those other two, unfortunately, are probably the two least interesting. But I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

Roadrunner,
    Astral Plane
    Pablo Picasso
    Old World

Offhand those are the best ones that come to mind.

JRA and JimK like this.
  7. JRA

ha! it's a pleasure! :thumbsup:

ElectroVibe and JimK like this.
  8. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    Belgium
    Thanks man, I only knew Roadrunner by the sex pistols...:thumbsup:

ElectroVibe likes this.
  9. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    I always liked Pablo Picasso. Wasn't there a heavier version on the Repo Man soundtrack?

10. swink

swink

Jan 10, 2019
    Belgium

11. Hanss

Hanss

May 9, 2016
    I loved this album in my early twenties. The subjects that are covered in the songs were nice as it went up against the classical motto of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. The primitive drive that i like to have as a bass player can also be found on the album. So I completely get the praise it receives.

ElectroVibe likes this.
  12. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    4581CE91-D549-4E9C-A428-5EEA57E1CC20.jpeg . He’s a good songwriter. His singing is good, but not for everyone... like a lot of good songwriters. I have seen him live a couple of times and he puts on a good show if you are familiar with his music.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 4:37 AM
    ElectroVibe likes this.
  13. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015

ElectroVibe likes this.
  14. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    No, it was Burning Sensations.

swink likes this.
  15. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    He changed styles drastically after that band. He became all acoustic and has only sung about happier and gentler things since then. Personally I love both of his groups. "Modern Lovers 88" is one of my favorites as far as his later stuff.