The Modes

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bcarll, Feb 1, 2002.

1. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Hope I can relate to you all what I need to say and have answered. Here Goes --- I am playing the scales and modes now in my practice sessions and have the Ionian, Dorian, and Phrygian modes in key of C down and moving on to the others. I am only playing them at this time just one octave. The lesson I have tells the chords that they sound best played over so I went to and loaded in the chords and and played over the tracks. Really helps understand the modes to do that and takes the boredom out of playing the scales and gives you something to keep time to. OK now my question(s) --- I found in my lesson book the Pentatonic scales and modes and they sure look easier to learn and play but am I doing right by learning the octaves and at what point should the 5 note scales be learned or used. They sure seem easier to use in a song only having five notes to play so please steer me in the right direction if that's possible. Thanks

2. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Thanks Htag

Went to the site you reccomended and found some help there. Learning the modes is certainly important especially when wanting to play jazz as I do. Do you think if you just learned the pentatonic scales and modes that would be enough or should I keep on learning the 8 note octave scales. I know probably both would be best but as one person posted on here a while back with so much to learn what can you learn first that will at least get you playing with some degree of skill. Thanks for helping out

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    augmented scale?

as far as i know, there is no such thing. only an augmented arpeggio. (R-3-#5)

hmm...this looks like a job for PAC-MAN!!!

[yellow three-quarter circle two-dimensional creature bursts into room-or maze, i should say-munching white pellots (sp?) throughout his course]

no, the OTHER pac-man!

[pac-man slowly sulkily floats away, where assorted colored ghosts console him]
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    'tis I :D (the other one....)

yep, you're right. No augmented scale.

but.... you could almost look at the whole tone scale as augmented.... It does have a raised 5th, and is used over aumented chords.

to be more accurate, however, it's a symetrical scale (like the diminished).

(now, if you'll excuse me - Clyde and Pinky are after me :eek: )
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    ...I learned there is such a thing as an augmented scale

There are 2 different augmented scales.

C augmented: C D E F# G# A# C (Bb, Ab, Gb, E, and D augmented scales contain the same notes)

F augmented: F G A B C# D# F (Eb, Db, B, A, and G augmented scales contain the same notes)

Edit: Noticing Pacman got to a reply before me, he is more correct. The whole tone scale will generate these augmented scales....or something like ignore me. :D
  6. Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Has anyone else gone to this site and been stuck in the intro loop?