The moments that reward you for playing bass.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by CaribooBass, Jun 13, 2021.

1. CaribooBass

CaribooBass

Nov 30, 2017
    Cariboo
    Ever been asked why do you play bass? Then just smile and be thankful ?

We have a new female back up singer on our worship team, she is a bit older and has never sang on stage before. so as we always do we had a very relaxed rehearsal and that is when the Blessing showed up.
    Our eyes saw a Senior wanting to fulfil a dream our ears heard an Angel.
    No other way to say it. She raised us to a new level nothing short of a gift. Her first time live is this Sunday morning. We all feel honoured to help her show the ones she loves her gifting.

So why do you play bass?
    What makes you thankful?

Mr_Moo, danster, Wito and 28 others like this.
  2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    This should probably be moved to gig stories?

3. CaribooBass

CaribooBass

Nov 30, 2017
    Cariboo
    I guess your right. I never thought of putting it in gig stories so if it is please moderators please do so. Thanks

elgranluis likes this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    After suffering a minor stroke nearly three years ago that effected my right side I'm happy just to be alive since most of my family has died from strokes at around my age.

Still being able to play bass (heavily modified to accommodate my new reality) and play shows, even if I never get back to my pre-stroke proficiency or practice schedule, is a tremendous bonus.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Mr_Moo, JRA, Wito and 25 others like this.
  5. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    after 3+ decades of gigging, this is what it's all about for me.
    (might as well be honest)

money gif R6a119d9a909b8a4f2fbe0ad3fcf6ec20.gif

bigswifty1, Ellery, rickwebb and 10 others like this.
  6. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    - being invited to play @ a high-profile gig
    - the fact that all of my gear has paid for itself at least 30x over
    - compliments (I've always thought of my playing as merely adequate)

Rewards beyond what I could imagine.

But enough of the "I love me" wall...

Bajo Clarkko, shadven and zie like this.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Having a talented person join one’s group is always a delight.

A drummer that forgets their crash cymbal(s) and doesn’t end every 8 with Keith Moon drum rolls landing on the 1.75 is also a nice gift.

Mr_Moo, mikewalker, christle and 8 others like this.
  8. I've made a lot of good friends through playing music, I've made some great friends through it, my best man was met through music.

I love playing bass, I love gigging, I love being asked to play a festival I like or support a band I respect and admire.. but it all pales in comparison to the relationships I've formed, and the memories I have with those people.

9. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Good question. I am a hobbyist only, so playing bass has very little instrumental value for me. That is, I don't make money from it. So it gives me simple joy in itself. I love attempt to perfect my gear (i.e. GAS), learning songs and playing with others. For me asking why one likes bass is like asking why one likes ice cream. I like ice cream because it is ice cream. Same for bass.

Mr_Moo, Timmy Liam, L Anthony and 3 others like this.
  10. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    All it takes is a big grin from the drummer and I'm fine.

dirkdabass, Mr_Moo, Wito and 11 others like this.
  11. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    When the check clears.

wmhill likes this.
  12. This...
    Being complicit in making good music with musicians you respect, and being recogized by them as part of that magic is rewarding to me.
    I get a lot of personal fulfilment just from playing, so the minute I join people to make something great, it elevates that feeling.

Mr_Moo, Keyser Soze, 40Hz and 3 others like this.
  13. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I know a lot of people say this but for me it's all about the groove. When the groove is there, I'm a happy man.

Mr_Moo, DaDo625, JRA and 10 others like this.
  14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    While working in Guam in 2008, I was invited to a Sunday fiesta. These were neighborhood gatherings where locals bring potluck dishes, etc.

A few guys brought out a couple acoustic guitars, an old P bass copy, and a small bass combo. We were circled in a gazebo, to get relief from the sun, and someone started Stir It Up, the only Bob Marley song I knew at the time. So I played along and behind me I heard someone say "wow, that bass really adds a lot." I had to fly 10,000 miles to finally hear a compliment about my playing.:D

Crusher47, Mr_Moo, JRA and 17 others like this.
  15. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    fell you bro. But honestly lately i've been working with some pretty big names, trying to take things to the next level. We had this guy on the gig recently

Bill Holloman - Wikipedia

16. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I’m thankful and driven by three things: My band, my audience, and my love for the instrument. I’ve been blessed to have been able to play with the same band for 20 years. We’re more than band mates; we’re life-long best friends with countless shared memories. Having an amped up, loud crowd is just one of the most amazing feelings a rock musician can experience. There’s absolutely nothing that compares to several thousands of people shouting your band’s name, singing along with your original material, and being a part of a mass vibe with them. Bass is my craft, my art, my skill. The history, techniques, players, tones, and gear have become imbedded in much of what I have done for almost 30 years. I’m thankful for it all and can only hope that I’ve helped other musicians find those same feelings along the way.

Mr_Moo, oldandbold, bassb66 and 5 others like this.
  17. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    1.75 :roflmao:

instrumentalist likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Lots to like. I am happy just to play so audience response is great and the feeling you get when you’re locked in is great. But the best reward is…

wooooo

19. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    earth
    That i picked it up so easily and it took me on tour to Europe several times, nothing major league, not alot of money, but the reception we received was great and had a ton of fun....that experience alone was priceless!

Mr_Moo likes this.
  20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

You think I’m kidding? Same drummer says to me; “can you try playing a bit ‘behind’ the beat?”
    All I want to reply with is; “Can you try playing a consistently steady beat I can get behind?”

It has come to that. Next rehearsal, I’m gonna have to air it out.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021